Rifles at family house

.243 t3

Hi guys,

my partner lives about 16 mile from where I live and was wondering if I can put a gun cabinet in the house to store my rifles in if I've been out stalking and going to stay at her house?

Are we allowed to do this or do I have to travel back home to secure my rifles before going to her place?

matt

What's to stop you !
It would be the same as when you stay in a Hotel overnight.
Whenever you are away from your usual place of domicile you are required to take reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised access - so another cabinet would be more than the reasonable answer.

That's what I thought ! Might just do it it will only be the odd day or two that I stay there and they will be secure.

Just tried to call firearms officer but on leave . Will have a look for a gun cabinet and maybe put one on wall.

I put the Full home office guidelines on storage and security into the sticky at the head of this legal section.

A cabinet is a good solution, but don't overthink it. The guidance are that you should take reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised access. If it was the odd night or two I would look at a cable lock to something secure in the house and store the bolt elsewhere, but cabinets, especially small are pretty inexpensive and if you have space and permission then do so. No need to involve the FLO unless you are planning on changing address.

Suggest you look at the thread I started about leaving weapons at a friends house. lots of v good advice in it.

D

Just been reading them now mate some good advice, my partners brother has a shogun licence and gun cabinet is in the cellar so might put another down there and keep keys with me .

Just been reading them now mate some good advice, my partners brother has a shogun licence and gun cabinet is in the cellar so might put another down there and keep keys with me .

Or simply put a cable / trigger lock around your rifle and leave it in his cabinet - get your own key to it. He should put a lock round his own shotguns.

Just don't leave the rifle there when you aren't there yourself.

Ian

why not?!

no different to securing it in a car and leaving it...except more secure

if the keys are on you it is no different to you leaving your guns in the house when your family are in but you are not.

I staid in a cottage on arran that had a cabinet and 4 rifles were stored there. we didnt camp round the cabinet...we went out and left the guns in the house when not needed.

Hi Bewsh,
What I was meaning was, don't leave rifles when not in residence. - Plod might get upset if he were to drop on your normal FAC registered address for a "spot check" & all your firearms weren't there to be accounted for. No doubt unwanted hassle would result & one could do without that.

Ian

As mentioned by others you really don't want to overthink this. Occasional stays wouldn't be a problem. A friend of mine (who is particularly 'legal risk' adverse) is in the same position, although his stays became more than occasional. He put in a cabinet and advised the folk in Malvern - they simply recorded it as a secondary address, no bother at all. In your circumstances it would seem such measures are not required, but if you are worried then a chat with the FEO is the way to go. Just get it confirmed with an email! ;)

You could always put a cabinet in and then declare it to your firearms officer as a second address. No worries about spot checks or if you find ypurself in a posiiton where you have to leave firearms there.

Regards

Mark

Hie a good relationship with firearms officer so left him a voice mail explaining the issue , hopefully get back to me with answer.

brought a 5 gun cabinet off eBay so good to go there.

Back