Replacement Optilock base screws

These stainless screws are a lot harder than the originals and one doesn't have to worry about rounding the hex like with the originals.

Great offer nice to know there are some genuine people out there. Stainless great for corrosion resistance and bet they are just the job for scope mounts

It always seems there are a suspicious number of Optilocks for sale in the classifieds. Why is this, and is it anything to do with the licorice screws?

Odd as Stainless screws and bolts are considered softer and weaker that good H/T carbon steel scews and bolts in cars. In fact I was warned off using stainless bolts in the front sub frame mounts on the MG as they are weaker that the original H/T bolts. Same goes for the front hub pinch bolts I wanted to replace the rusted H/T steel ones with a stainless ones but was informed they were not strong enough as the originals are 10mm 12.9 H/T I think it is

Odd as Stainless screws and bolts are considered softer and weaker that good H/T carbon steel scews and bolts in cars. In fact I was warned off using stainless bolts in the front sub frame mounts on the MG as they are weaker that the original H/T bolts. Same goes for the front hub pinch bolts I wanted to replace the rusted H/T steel ones with a stainless ones but was informed they were not strong enough as the originals are 10mm 12.9 H/T I think it is

Yes, the originals I removed were grade 10.9 (900 MPa ultimate strength) vs the A2-70's (700 MPa). The stainless ones are definitely harder though and I'm able to tighten them just as tight despite having a 3mm hex vs the original 4mm hex.

I think that the problem is that the optilock screws are not the spec that they say they are. Good quality HT screws would work fine.

Last edited:
funnily enough I've just had this happen to me today. From an engineering view point Optilocks have a few downsides.
A simple step in the base where the ring mounts would stop the ring turning when tightening. It would make more sense to be able to remove the ring without having to take the base off, ie bolt through the ring not up through the base

Hi Rory,

I wouldn't mind four, if they're still available please.
Please pm me for any postage/packaging/favourite charity costs etc,

cheers, Tedward.

Thanks for this. I had the same issue and bought the ones you mention and they worked great.

I don't suppose you know the specifications for the ring bolts as well as I'd like to buy a few spare of those also?

It always seems there are a suspicious number of Optilocks for sale in the classifieds. Why is this, and is it anything to do with the licorice screws?
I think it is because the ring insert means that they do less damage to the cosmetics of the scope, and are easier to fit, especially if you don’t have a Picatinny-type rail.
Those are the reasons I use them, anyway.

No point replacing the shitty soft ones with more shitty soft ones
Get high tensile clamp and base screws online easy peasy
Get stainless ring screws from the shooting shed

Perhaps your correct in what your saying Edd, but a lot are heavy handed ! use a torque and don't
overtighten.15-17lbs rings ....40-45 bases the jobs a good'un.

Buck.

Back