Flir scout 11 320 Any good???

GNU

Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a thermal monocular thingy, one that is **** easy to use for 2k or less.
I am looking at the scout 11 320 but haven't got a clue if its any good or if there is a better jobby on the market in a similar price bracket (the cheaper the better but I don't want to end up with a piece of s**t).largely it'll be used for foxes 300m ish should suffice.
Any help in the matter would be appreciated as I have no experience with one.
Top banana
cheers

Cheers, better in what aspect? Picture quality, range or simplicity of use?

Not really. Flir are too slow with refresh rate. I think they are about 7hz. You want min 25. Most of them are about 50.
Good old Itar regs......

just checked, it's actually 9hz

Last edited:
FLIR do indeed run at 9hz mostly. Pulsar Quantum XD50S is by far the best hunting monocular in the price bracket currently with a 50hz refresh rate and a lot of different colour choices plus a 1250m detection range.

Another brand to look at is Guide, they make some nice thermals starting a bit cheaper than Pulsar but don't have as many features. The IR510P is a nice model but in comparison to the Quantum, it only has black and white and red hot colours plus only a 400m detection range. Depending on your use this may be sufficient, but if you can stretch to a Quantum, you won't regret it.

Everyone wibbles on about refresh rate but it is no big deal in my opinion. My 9hz Flir spots things just fine. If you move the camera you can appreciate the picture doesn't move entirely smoothly but it doesn't affect detection

9hz is no good at all for spotting IMO, I like to move my unit when scanning for quarry not keep holding it in one place.

You will need a pretty decent unit to spot and ID a fox at 300 yards, Pulsar HD50S would be my choice in that price bracket or a second hand Guide 518 if you can find one.

9hz is no good at all for spotting IMO, I like to move my unit when scanning for quarry not keep holding it in one place.

You will need a pretty decent unit to spot and ID a fox at 300 yards, Pulsar HD50S would be my choice in that price bracket or a second hand Guide 518 if you can find one.

PM sent!.

When you see a thermal signal just hold the unit still for 0.11 seconds and hey presto ... A fox!
I must be doing something wrong as I can identify things despite a 9hz refresh rate. The biggest limitation with my unit is the 1x mag

Just got a Quantum xd50s but had a Flir on loan.

Go with the Quantum, it's night and day [literally!]

Although a bit more expensive the Quantum is far superior

Back