QR Mounts

Dom

Afternoon, All.

I intend to swap between NV and a day scope on my rifle and have already fitted a picatinny rail and Drone Pro successfully. Now I'm after advice re. the mounts for the day scope. It's a S&B 8X56 30mm tube and I'd like to use QR mounts that hold zero!

What are my options?

Many thanks for your thoughts,

Dom

I've had good results with Leupold QR mounts on my Photon. With the scope you have you'd be fine getting back to zero or at least very close so it wouldn't make a difference at the ranges likely to shoot with a fixed 8x scope

another vote for the leupold qr , i have them on my day scope for the hmr and they are great quality and when funds permit i will get the 30m for the photon and replace the current ones on it.

That's good to know. I plan to put the S&B on my CZ HMR, when the DP's on the other gun. What height do I need, please?

I have medium ones on a DIP picatinny rail and the photon only just squeezes on but the DIP rail is a very low profile, about 5-6mm higher than the dovetail.

edit it's on a CZ452 HMR

Last edited:
The S&B has a 56mm objective lens and is going on a CZ452 HMR. The rail I've fitted is also low profile and fits very neatly onto the dovetail, but 56mm is a big lens...

The photon is a 50mm lens but it's the body of the unit that is close so I'd expect medium would be OK if not the high would be fine but maybe not as low as you'd like.

I have Warne QR and Leupold QRW rings in 30mm tube size, but the largest scope I run in medium height is 44mm.
For 56mm, I think you will need high rings.

[h=3]Leupold QR Ring Height Chart:[/h]
1" Super Low:.55"
1" Low:.65"
1" Medium:.77"
1" High:.9"
1" Super High:1"
30mm Low:.65"
30mm Medium:.77"
30mm High:.9"
30mm Super High:1"
34mm High:n/a
34mm Super High:n/a
Leupold 49852: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 1in, Low, Gloss Black 49852
Leupold 49856: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 1in, Med, Matte Black 49856
Leupold 49858: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 1in, High, Matte Black 49858
Leupold 49855: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 1in, Med, Gloss Black 49855
Leupold 49853: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 1in, Low, Matte Black 49853
Leupold 49854: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 1in, Low, Silver 49854
Leupold 49857: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 1in, High, Gloss Black 49857
Leupold 49867: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 1in, Medium, Silver 49867
Leupold 49859: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 1in, High, Silver 49859
Leupold 49861: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 30mm, Low, Matte Black 49861
Leupold 49863: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 30mm Medium Matte 49863
Leupold 49864: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 30mm, High, Gloss Black 49864
Leupold 49865: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 30mm, High, Matte 49865
Leupold 49860: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 30mm, Low, Gloss Black 49860
Leupold 49862: Quick Release Weaver Style Rings, 30mm, Med, Gloss Black 49862

Ah, ok. I'll go with high and can always back track from there. Many thanks for your input.

I should have added an explanation of those Leupold dimensions, but go look at a diagram on their website and you will see. I will try to find one.

You may need Extra High for a 56mm scope...surely would with a 1 inch tube.

If the height is X mm from the bottom of a 30mm ring to the bottom of its foot where it sits on the rail, you have 15mm ( half the tube diameter) in the ring, so you have 56mm - 15mm = 41mm below the bottom of the ring. Just make sure that Xmm is enough to clear.

Warne and Leupold have online catalogs in PDF - very large, but you can just print the pages you need to figure out for your rifle.

Last edited:
For my Photon XT's I use Recknagel 14mm base height lever QR rings.... these give a couple of mm clearance between the underside of the front housing and the top of the pic rail. I use the 11mm versions for my Zeiss 6-24x56's

I've never had a problem with loss of zero using the Recknagels and the 'scopes are on and off the rifles every time they get used.

OK, the Recks are bit more expensive at around the £110 mark but they do what they're supposed to and Alan Rhone's customer service is very very good and they will always swap rings that are the wrong height.

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

Thanks for that. I've now ordered some Leupolds, so we'll see how it goes! I'm aware of Recknagel and have a picatinny rail by them on my Sako. I did find Alan Rhone a bit difficult, but I'm sure his customer service is excellent.

Right, I've gone for the high rings and mounted the scope. There is a fair gap between the base of the scope and the barrel, but it looks OK. I can't help wondering if I could have got away with medium rings, but as long as it shoots straight....

20160322_122012.jpg

Your base is high, about 8mm higher than a pair of Warne or Leupold cross slot bases would be.
What matters is how it looks to your eye through the glass, when you have a comfortable cheek weld on the comb.

Thanks, Southern. I haven't had a chance to actually shoot it yet, so we'll see. It's the American model, so the stock is not tall. If cheek weld is a problem I could try the mediums, as long as I can return the highs. I don't want this to get unnecessarily expensive!

Well, after all that, I've ended up with lows! I can return the mediums and, as the lows were second hand, at least I've lost no money. The lows leave a gap of a couple of mm between the objective bell to the barrel, so all good.

I am going through the same problem. My way of thinking is to get shut of my photon and buy a add on night vision. Wdv 700 or similar. No need to be swapping scopes etc. They do have there pros and cons but the add on seems to work intheory. Especially if if you have more than one rifle for different permissions and situations. Range finding is a pain at night and knowing your own scope helps.

Back