what about a simmons wtc scope

Chris S

I need a new scope and im on a tight budget so how about a simmons WTC 3.5-10x50 ,its to go on a moderated 243.so all i have to consider is low light capability and is my rifles recoil gonna break it.
Its under £150 new thats all.

It will certainly serve a purpose, but you will eventually want to upgrade. Simonds scopes are great for air rifles and rim fires, or for applications where you don't need high performance.
You would be better off saving your gelt and enquiring at your local gunshops about a second hand Lisenfeld, Leupold or Meopta. The other thing to consider is that when you come to sell it you'll probably get about £30 for your Simmonds, but you'll more than likely be able to sell a better brand of scope for about the same money you gave for it.

I have a WTC 6.5 - 20 x 50 which I have had for about 12 years, and is mounted on my .22-250. I purchased the scope new and it has performed without fault. It is not quite as clear or as bright as my Sworo or my SB, but all the same an excellent piece of kit. I have heard that their current scopes are not quite of the same build quality as the older models, but as this is the only simmons I have used I cant comment. If it gets you up and running, go for it. I would buy another!

ATB

Tom

I can't comment on the Simmons but what I will say is that there are some top notch scopes available 2nd hand for that sort of money. You will probably not be getting a variable, but maybe you don't need one. Macleods had some 6X42 S&B and Zeiss available for under the £200 mark, I'd guess they will be worth what you paid for them when you come to sell which could make for a pretty low cost ownership experience.

I've got a WTC 6.5-20 x50 on my 17HMR, its OK but not great. My biggest gripe is that when the sun is low and at a certain angle the scope whites out and becomes unusable where a better scope would be fine.
I wouldn't be happy with one on a stalking rifle. You'd be better off with something second hand and German.

You'd be better off with something second hand and German.

Here here. Look at Meopta, Leupold, S&B, Swarovski, Ziess, Redfield.

Dont buy anything cheap for a stalking rifle - it might cost you the beast of a lifetime ;)

Sam

I have a simmoms on my 270 and i would not change it never let me down even when i feel whith the rifle,and happy to shoot out to over 300 yards
amberdog

I had a 6.5-20x50 Simmons on the .243,clarity not the best but did the job for a couple of seasons.Leupold 3-9x50 scopes under £300 and cant fault them!

I had a 6.5-20x50 Simmons on the .243,clarity not the best but did the job for a couple of seasons.Leupold 3-9x50 scopes under £300 and cant fault them!

I'll second that. V happy with my Leupold and bought for under £300 (I know your budget is £150). Have had a wee wtc on my air rifle for 20 years and still going strong.

Get yourself a Burris Fullfield 11 off the yank ebay if you have a small budget (like me!) cracking scope with the Ballistic Plex and there are a few people using them for stalking with no problems.

i had a wtc 4.5-14 many years ago....started on a .270.....went then on a 243......308......223.....and was bloody brilliant!
For your budget you won't go wrong if you buy one, i would use one again without question.....in fact when i get a 243 i'll look out for one myself as i know they are well upto the job on a centrefire and they are suprisingly bright in low light.

steve

Hi,

I have the S&B 6x42 (Hungarian made) fixed and from what I have shot with it up to now, seems like a really great little scope! It mounts reasonably low, seems very sturdy, very clear in the evenings and in low light, good field of vision and quick target acquisition. The reticle posts are useful too, in ranging deer at various ranges.

Haven't experienced it in the rain yet, but it seems it might be ok.

PS. if anyone knows the exact size of objective flip cover for this scope, please PM me or reply as my local gunsmith says to bring it in, but that's not really convenient.

just my two cents...

Just had to look at my scope on 6.5x 55. I have had it on about six years now hardly had to adjust it since i worked up a round that would clover leaf at 100 yards its shot roe /red a plenty why I bought a varie power scope I do not Know its set between 6&8 but the point is its a WTC 50 OL scope and I sold a S&B when I fitted it its good in low light and fine in reticule suits.you pays your money and takes your choice.

Back