Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle choices - (Worm, Can, Open).

Rifle choices - (Worm, Can, Open).

Sorry for opening the can of worms that has probably been opened plenty of times.

Im currently looking at a new rifle purchase, and i have came up with a list of 4 rifles. I know im best to go to various dealers to get the fit and feel myself, but looking for some good and bad opinions of what im looking at.

In no particular order.
    1. Sako 85 Synthetic.
    2. Sauer 202 Outback.
    3. Mauser M03 Extreme.
    4. Blaser R8 Professional.
    Some i have used before, some ive never seen in use.

What pro's and cons are there in these 4. Like other posts ive read, there willl be more than 4 opinions for the 4 listed, but interesting to read other peoples veiws.

Last edited by Coddy; 18-03-2016 at 23:37.

Do what you are going to do anyhow: Balance your checkbook with what you like and buy it. No one can advise you on a rifle beyond just quality -and all the rifle you picked are quality rifles.~Muir

All good rifles. Three are from the same stable.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I would add the Mauser M12 Extreme to that list if I were in your position - at the price they are at the moment you would be certainly be picking up the cheapest, if not the best, of the lot IMHO - with plenty of change for really good glass...
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

It looks like you want to buy new, and as much of a Sako fan as I am, I'd drop the 85 from that list, and as said earlier replace it with the Mauser M12 Extreme.

Alternatively, if you're happy to hunt for a mint secondhand rifle, replace the 85 with a 75.

Either way, you'll be plenty happy with anything from the Sauer, Mauser, Blaser stable
    Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

If I had bought a Sako 75 action III in 1997 when they came out, I would have saved myself a small fortune over the following 19 years and likely still be using it. That's the best advice I can give.

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    If I had bought a Sako 75 action III in 1997 when they came out, I would have saved myself a small fortune over the following 19 years and likely still be using it. That's the best advice I can give.
    Which is exactly what I did!

You need to handle all of the rifles before you buy one of them. One mans perfect rifle is another mans club. I have a M03. Nice rifle but heavy. I handled the Sako grizzly the other evening and that felt perfect. Some of the Sauer 202 handel OK ,some don't. See if you can try before you buy.

Another Mauser M03 extreme owner here , I traded a sako 85 .223 and a sako M591 .308 for mine and I never looked back fantastic build quality , really nice to hold and shoot and it holds perfect zero time after time when stripped down ( I purchased secondhand not new )

I also have a rail mount Swaro Z6I on mine So the scope mount is rock solid IMO

a nice lightweight LP titanium mod finishes it off

Go for the cheapest, and use the money you gain for the best possible bino's and scope.
    A few wisdom's:
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men
    • If you can get closer, get closer.
    • If you can get more stable, get more stable.