Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rifle required 6.5 x 55

New Rifle required 6.5 x 55

Hi Guys

I have for years used .243 calibre and had no problems with the calibre or rifle, this is now up for renewal due to age, fair wear and tear.

I am looking at a 6.5 x 55 as an all round calibre for deer excluding reds and Sika, my stalking is generally, Fallow, Roe and Muntjac.

Any suggestions of experience with and or performance good or bad for the 6.5 or preference for other calibres and or preferred scope would be most welcome

Join the 6.5 club - you won't regret it. Accurate, low recoil, wide selection of bullets for reloading. I love mine, having changed from .308 a few years ago. It does all I need it to do on reds and roe.

I have stopped all six with my 6.5 and am about to re-barrel it, love it and won't change it for the world.

I will second the above statements... I love my 6.5 x 55 too... As they say shoots well, low recoil and has plenty to offer with its stopping capability on deer, I have shot Roe, Fallow, Muntjac and Sika with mine always produced good results!!!

I have never regretted buying my 6.5x55, it has accounted for fallow, roe and a muntjac. I used to use 140gn Federal Powershok but now load my own. I am using 129gn SST's and they have stopped everything on the spot so far.

I bought a Sako 75 finnlight, there is a second hand Deluxe on at the Northallerton gun shop which can't have done much work.

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

A great choice there.
    Light bullet head handloads shoot flat and hard.
    heavy 156 factory slow and sure (no recoil much) but cut through bracken and bramble and get there in woodalnd, they have the added advantage of absolutley NO meat damage.
    I've had many calibres and love the swede.
    Still take my 7mm rem mag for really big beasts/long shots on open hill or pigs.
    Mine is also a finlite 75 8 1/4 lb's scoped and loaded ready to go. NICE.

Hi Phil,

I also used a 243 for many years, but made the change over to 6.5x55 about 8 months ago and bought a Sauer. I am sure you will not regret the change, just wished I had done it before!! I home load for mine with truly excellent results. Go for it.....

Another fan here. Decided to trade in my .243 and .308 for the 6.5 a month ago. With luck it should arrive from Tikka tomorrow.

I have used my farthers rifle in said calibre on many occasions - though only shooting at paper. The recoil is similar to a .243.

At the moment he has taken Roe, Red, Fallow and Sika using Nosler Partition 140grn Spitzers.

Thanks to Lee-6.5 on this forum I have some Hornaday Interlock 160grn Round-Nosed bullets to on Wednesday - if they work well I can see them becoming the main fodder for my new rifle. I like a pole-axing round .

Next time I see some I think I shall get some Nosler Ballistic Tip (hunting type) 120grn - I hear very good things about them as a Roe and smaller round.

Last edited by Sam; 31-05-2010 at 13:49. Reason: Too much air not enough brains
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

6.5 x 55 is a proven game getter. The high SD and sensible velocities with heavier bullets make it very potent indeed! good choice

Another big vote for the 6.5 x 55, i also have a 243 but always pick up the 6.5 when going stalking, has never let me down yet.