Thread: Introduction

Hello Fellow Deerstalkers,

I am based in Wiltshire but have stalked in Scotland, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Hampshire, Surrey, Yorkshire and Northumberland. It all started years ago as a guest of a friend whose family owned some land in Perthshire. I still have a very vivid memory of the pride and privilege I felt carrying a Red hind off the hill.

Since then it has all been lowland stalking; mostly Roe but some Fallow, Muntjac and CWD. I use a 6.5x55 Tikka T3 with a S&B scope and PES moderator; it seems to do the job. I am torn between Roe and Muntjac as which species I prefer to eat but I definitely prefer processing the smaller species;the bigger ones are a pain to extract and not as good eating in my opinion.

I would very much like to return to the hills in Scotland one day; I'd also like to have a go at Chamois in the Alps (something my grandfather did a bit of in his day). Hopefully there will be some time for that but time, like money, is always a bit tight.

There are moments when I feel as though I could just take an SLR camera with me instead of a rifle but then the taste of well cooked venison comes to me and the instinct to hunt follows. I had Roe chops off a yearling doe I shot in February a couple of nights ago and it was sublime. I couldn't be a vegetarian if I tried……..

Welcome to the site, I prefer Sika the best of eating

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses