"Roe Deer and their Antlers"

willie_gunn

My copy of this new book by Pavel Scherer arrived in the post this morning, courtesy of the normal fantastic service from Coch-y-Bonddu.

I have only had a chance to quickly dip into it but, by golly, it looks absolutely fantastic. It is lavishly, lavishly, illustrated with some quite superb photos. Pavel looks to be taking over the mantle of Richard Prior.

Perhaps belying the book's title, it covers so much more than just the antlers of roe deer. Starting with "The Reproduction of Roe Deer" there is then what looks to be an excellent section on "Negative Factors Affecting the Health of Roe Deer", as well as a superbly illustrated chapter on "Assessing the Age of Roe Deer before and after Shooting". Of course the book covers roe antlers in detail, including development, structure, abnormalities, etc. It must be destined to become the Bible on the subject.

I'd read Iain Watson's review here: Roe Deer and their Antlers Book Review from Iain Watson. which concludes with the sentence "If you only buy one book of Roe this year make it this one".

I think Iain - or his editor - have got it wrong.

Instead the sentence should read "If you only buy one book this year make it this one"

If you have a specific interest in roe, or a general interest in deer, buy a copy.

Good afternoon

Thank you for the 'heads-up' - cant wait to acquire, read and digest.....

L

My German friend had a copy when over and the photos alone were fascinating, I got my English copy yesterday and it's a fascinating read, all equally applicable to British roe to my mind it's the most important work on roe since the great Richard Prior hung up his pen.

ATB
Nick

Back