Berger 6.5mm 130 Grain VLD

thomas

Anyone know of a dealer with any Berger 6.5mm 130 Grain VLD in stock?

Tried the usual suspects without luck

ATB

Tom

I am going to try them in my 6.5x55 and indeed I will be using N160, as this works very well with my other 6.5x55 loads, so would be a good starting point. Tried reloading solutions yesterday, told none in stock!
No real long range shooting proposed, 200 - 250yds max, I am curious to give them a try as I have heard such good reports, so I just want to find out for myself.

T

I have looked into this before and whilst doing so i found this picture on an american forum (THR). I can't tell you the science behind the photos impact velocities or what the media was. I have to say that i would be resistant to using them when there are such a huge range of excellant hunting bullets.

020berger-text-LOWREZ.jpg

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical about Bergers as hunting bullets, it sounds like they just labelled some of their bullets as 'hunting' because the US long range hunting brethren are using them as such, they're not designed for the job IMHO, they're target bullets! I mean: they've got thin jackets and non bonded cores, so you can see how they've fallen apart. That's not to say that they wouldn't kill effectively...

Thanks for the pic H-C, looks like you could be finding a few chunks of Berger in your burger! I currently use 120grn Nosler BT's for stalking with very good results, but I do a bit of paper punching at home with my reloading and to keep my 'eye in', so wanted to give them a try as I have never used a match grade bullet before.

T

I am going to try them in my 6.5x55 and indeed I will be using N160, as this works very well with my other 6.5x55 loads, so would be a good starting point. Tried reloading solutions yesterday, told none in stock!
No real long range shooting proposed, 200 - 250yds max, I am curious to give them a try as I have heard such good reports, so I just want to find out for myself.

T

Might be fun to try but at those close ranges VLD designs are a waste of money, I'd think. Good luck with them.~Muir

WOW! that Berger is shrapnel! I suppose they advertise a large and deep wound channel that drops the deer immediately. However, it doesn't state what range this test was done at, and the Berger is a 300+ yard bullet, really designed for 300-1000 yard shots - at which distance it may not fragment that much...not sure.

However, I REALLY like the post-impact look of the Scierra Game King, looks very solid, well mushroomed, and with a bullet that's designed to be accurate from 100 to 1000 yards due to the VLD shape. However, VLD shaped bullets are no good unless 105+ grain, which means a no-go for .243 or less (due to 1:10 norm twist rates taking no more than 95gr in VLD's to stabilise properly)....or correct me if wrong (ie. anyone tried the Game King in a .243 with 1:10 twist? if so, are there any factory ammo with this bullet?

Thanks Muir, I am very good at wasting money, or so my wife tells me anyway!! I will buy a box VLD to try in the interests of punching a few holes in some paper, but l will be sticking with my Noslers for stalking.

ATB

T

I have also tried 6.5mm Bergers in the past in both .260Rem and 6.5*47 Lapua and in both cases returned to 120grain BTs.
Working up a load with the Bergers was tricky (and expensive) with little advantage at normal ranges over the BTs. Terminal performance with the Bergers was explosive but colateral meat damage and bruising extensive.

Back