Legalities of shooting at sea

Stumack

Has anyone any knowledge of the legalities of shooting at sea from a fishing boat close to land and inshore waters.

You can shoot within the legal limits as the sea is open to recreation. Essex and other forces have in fact issued section 11 certificates to allow entertainment groups shoot off a boat.

My first semi-open F.A.C. allowed me to use a .22 rifle at sea, but if the cliffs were less than 100ft high, I had to aim out to sea if within 1 mile of the shoreline. That was in the days when the Southern Sea Fisheries Committee issued Shag permits.

It is Illegal in the UK to shoot from a motor vessel, although you could get licenses under certain circumstances to shoot from them, eg seals, cormorant on rock etc, but it is doubtful any would be issued today.
You have always been able to shoot from a rowing boat, hence the use of punt guns for wildfowl.

My first semi-open F.A.C. allowed me to use a .22 rifle at sea, but if the cliffs were less than 100ft high, I had to aim out to sea if within 1 mile of the shoreline. That was in the days when the Southern Sea Fisheries Committee issued Shag permits.

Dorset Wildfowlers were a great bunch..

Has anyone any knowledge of the legalities of shooting at sea from a fishing boat close to land and inshore waters.

I'm not sure if this is absolutely correct but I was informed that maritime legislation forbidding most boats and ships from dumping or putting anything into the sea was the reason that clay pigeon shooting was stopped on cruise ships even though some had already gone over to laser shooting, not just for reasons of security (preventing passengers having access to live firearms). It would seem that clay pigeons although dissolvable were a risk to the marine environment.

Ironic really if it is true, as governments have deep sixed millions of tons of munitions and even radioactive waste in the ocean over the years.

I have a vague recollection that I read somewhere that some of the more remote and inaccessible Highland estates use or used rowing boats to get close to hinds that were down on the shores of sea lochs

Or did I imagine this?

It is Illegal in the UK to shoot from a motor vessel, although you could get licenses under certain circumstances to shoot from them, eg seals, cormorant on rock etc, but it is doubtful any would be issued today.
You have always been able to shoot from a rowing boat, hence the use of punt guns for wildfowl.

Not sure if that is absolutely correct. Certainly here, you can shoot from a boat with an engine as long as the engine is not running while you shoot - effectively stop the boat and use it as a shooting platform.

What you can't do for eg is to chase duck with a motor boat shooting while the boat is moving.

Reactions: JTO
Not sure if that is absolutely correct. Certainly here, you can shoot from a boat with an engine as long as the engine is not running while you shoot - effectively stop the boat and use it as a shooting platform.

What you can't do for eg is to chase duck with a motor boat shooting while the boat is moving.
I am uncertain of the Law in NI, but in England, Scotland and wales it is Illegal to shoot anything alive from a motor vessel full stop.
I used to have to jump through serious hoops to get a licence!

Back