Trailer lights

I take it they work on the vehicle you are using with no trailer plugged in. Do the indicators work on the trailer?

As others have said if working on motor should work on trailer, but tail boards can be a PITA if u've got a poor earth u sometimes get the side lights flashing instead.
Always something up with my tail board

As others have said if working on motor should work on trailer, but tail boards can be a PITA if u've got a poor earth u sometimes get the side lights flashing instead.
Always something up with my tail board

only problem is no hazards everything else works

Check the plug and socket, could be rusty connections. Worth checking where the electrics join into the vehicle loom

Trailer light can be queer things at times :cuckoo:

In theory if both l/r indicators working individually ur hazards should work as obviously wires aren't corroded etc.

Try lubricating the plug/socket, otherwise swear a bit, occasionly kick trailer and go for cuppa. Be working when u come back out;)

Seriously i have an old car battery i use to 'hotwire' trailer lights, got some cables that fit on battery that i can poke directly into lights or plug if u know the right terminal/pin. Lets u isolate different things still can be a pain to find problem and fix it at times.

Quickest way of fault finding is to use a known "healthy" tailboard.

Plug it into your towing socket and try your hazards.

If they still don't work the faults to do with the wiring or socket on your motor.

If they do work then the faults on your trailer.

wd40 squirted in the trailer plug sometimes helps ,if not open the plug and check the wiring as posted it may be rusty/broken .The plugs are very prone to damp as they seem to be waterproofed with fresh air

trailers fitted with four 21 watt indicator bulbs remove one each side and hazards work flasher unit must not be up to the job
anyone know where suzuki hid it on a 2003 vitara looked and cant find it anywhere
Thanks for your help

Be very careful. If the flasher can is lower powered it may be linked to the strength of the wiring. When I had my RAV4 wired to the socket by a vehicle electrician he had to wire right back to the board. The looms are not heavy enough for trailer sockets. Increase flasher you may burn out the loom.

Replace trailer lights with LED as there is considerably less current draw from the vehicle and your trailer lights will work a lot better :)

On my grand vit the extra flasher stuff for the trailer is behind a panel left side (facing forward) of the boot. Might be a place to start.

David.

Back