Howa 223 , sporter or varmint ?

Hales Smut

Is there much diffence in accuracy between these models? This purely as a foxing rig, 1 or 2 shots a night. Once the setup is complete the weight goes up a lot, so wouldn't mind using the sporter as a starting point, to save some weight.

My son has the howa .223 sporter ss and has had the trigger done by Brock and Norris the rifle is extremely accurate don't think you would go far wrong with a sporter.

I have both in .308, for single or double shots I actually think my sporter is the more accurate, but after 6-8 shots you start having trouble seeing through the heat haze off the mod :lol: the heavy barrelled version is the one I use on the range and without a mod, so heat isn't so much of an issue.

I have had a Howa 1500 sporter weight for over 20 years. It is actually a Smith & Wesson 1500, in a nice walnut stock and polished blue.

The barrel contour 22 inches long and the same taper as .308, so with the smaller bore, it is actually pretty heavy. Mine is a slower twist, as most were in those days, before the heavier bullets were developed for the US M16, with 1:9 twist. Mine shoots 55, 53 and 50-gr bullets very well. I shoot heavier bullets in my AR-15 match grade rifle.

Bottom line, I don't see the need for a heavier barrel or more bulky stock on the Howa.

Thanks. Good to know. I will only use it for foxing, so multiple shots will be rare. If I do my part. I will start with a 20" sporter and add the necessary tools to do the job.

Ive personally been on the search for a sako L46, 461 vixen in 222, ive tried the heavy barrel , monstrous scope rifle, for coyote, and to a lesser extent, fox. I found I was carrying more than shooting, the sporter weight, to my way of thinking , is optimum.

I've shot rifles with pipe cleaner barrels that shoot cloverleaf groups and heavy barreled rifles that wouldn't hit a flock of barns.
The advantage of the Varmint rifle is a heavy, long(usually) barrel that will shoot higher velocities all day without a change in the POI (point of impact).
The lighter barrel will be a little harder to hold still and more subject to heating up and a move of the POI.
Personally I'd go with the sporting wt. The odd shot now and then of a night won't upset it.

Ive personally been on the search for a sako L46, 461 vixen in 222, ive tried the heavy barrel , monstrous scope rifle, for coyote, and to a lesser extent, fox. I found I was carrying more than shooting, the sporter weight, to my way of thinking , is optimum.

I have a Sako L461 Vixen in .222 - it is a fantastic rifle: ultra short action, slick bolt and compact size in a very accurate calibre. I tend to use mine as a mid-range crow popper with 40gn Nosler BTs but it shoots 50gn SPs just as well so I'll switch out the big Zeiss varminting scope and pop on a Zeiss 7x50, then take it to Scotland this year for some Roe stalking. For a carry rifle, lighter definitely works for me as i get older!

I previously owned a Howa Varmint .223 with a 24" heavy barrel , big scope and giant reflex moderator - uber accurate but not much fun to lug about. I have a similarly weighty Ruger-based foxing rig now in .22-250 and while it's also fearsomely accurate, I tend to only use it off the truck roof or from a fixed position these days because it weighs a ton.

A.

I shoot a Ruger No1V in 22/250. It's a heavy rifle to tote around after foxes. I used a Tikka T3 a few weeks ago. I was initially dubious about the light barrel. Best shot was at 260 yds so my next idle of choice will not be a heavy barrelled rig.

Back