.22lr Poll

Subsonic or Non Subsonic for Rabbits and Squirrels?

• Total voters

2130martin

Straightforward vote for only those who use .22lr for Rabbits and or Squirrels.
What do you use,Subsonic or High Velocity....? And at what typical ranges are they zeroed and most shots taken?

Dont need any advice/opinions on other/better/preferred calibres,thanks!!

Most rifles are High Velocity, about 1200 FPS
Half my .22s are iron sights only.
Self-loading rifles are zeroed at 25 yards, with no shots over 75, one with 6x42, another with 2-7x32AO Mil Dot.
Others are zeroed 50 yards, and have BDC reticles, Mil Dot 2-7x, or fine target crosshair and AO.
Trying to decide on maybe another .22 scope now - hard to find one with all the features I want.

Handguns
Revolvers use High Velocity HP and open sights ( I carry them sometimes for snakes, and any fox or coyote I might encounter.)
S&W 41 - LR subsonic match, zero to 25 yards
High Standard - High Velocity
SW22 - open sights set to 25 yards, but also have a 4x scope I have not used.

Typical ranges for handgun on rabbits, rats, foxes is about 25 yards.
Typical ranges for handgun or rifle on squirrels is 20 to 55 yards.
Typical ranges for crows and pigeons is 75 to 150 yards.

Eley subs 50-55 yard zero depending on batch velocity, as I work backwards so that 2 mil dots of drop equates to 100yds. This is my usual max range for bunnies, unless absolutely still daylight conditions, laser rangefinder, bipod and back bag then 156yds which is the bottom post on my mil dot reticle scope. I chrono the batch and use Quick target to optimise zero. My max with .22LR was on a mixy riddled bunny at 236yds which sat totally oblivious such was the advanced state of the mixy as he was hit on shot #8 after walking in the shots with the aid of a spotter this was on 3x mag with the bunny sat right at the bottom of the bottom post.

win subs/RWS subs
zero at 55yds
shoot between 30 and 100yds
predominantly rabbits, foxes, winged vermin when stupid enough to land on the ground

High velocity rws. Shot a lot of Grey Squirrels with them, I found subsonics not quite up to the job. I don't use a moderator so that aspect doesn't concern me.

Depending which is available at the time winchester eley cci or rws subsonics zero @ 50 yards ideal for all small vermin and also fox at sensible ranges.

cci Subsonic HP at the moment in a 10/22 is an out to 100ish yrds gun for me Dial is generally set for a 22/50yrd zero 0.6" High at 36yrds and dial or hold off for other ranges depending on time

if i know its longer i take the 17HMR for out to 200yrds also for closer at night with NVD as its not as range sensitive

winnies /eleys either or ,,,,,doesn,t matter zeroed at 65/70,,, shooting upto a hundred approx maybe over,all bunnies,,, squirrels closer,distance off sticks ,upto zero offhand,

Annie 1417 & Bushnell Legend zeroed at 65 yards, using Winnie subs, seated with trigger sticks tripod, laser range finder and strelok mobile app, good out to around 150 yards on rabbits.

RWS subs zeroed @ 60 yards - holdover & under worked out for 80/30yds

Squirrels - either my HW100 or Air Arms Pro Sport + camo net & flask of coffee :D

Eley subs between 50 and 100 yds. High velocity group like a shotgun in my rifle so I don't use them. Subs can be used without disturbing those on the farm or the livestock. For anything over 100 yds I tend to use the .223. Noisier but takes all the guesswork out, both of range estimation and whether the little sub will do it's job. For close up work, the 22LR I've found spot on for squirrel especially as we get a lot on the ground.

I use Winchester subsonics, and my zero is at 40 long paces, which is somewhere in between "I could probably get that close to a rabbit" and "I wouldn't be happy at that range"

I use RWS subs in an Anschutz 1417, zeroed at 25 yards.
I take most of my shots in the field at 40-50 yards.
I'd probably pass on anything past 75 yards, and definitely pass on anything past 100.

Eley Subsonics are the only round for consistent reloading in my Ruger 10/22.
Spot on at 75yds. Ideal for rabbits and other small game.
My Firearms Enquiry Officer has told me I am not allowed to shoot foxes with it. What's that all about then.

I use eley subs and CCI segmented. Eley subs for close up in one 22 and the slightly quicker segmented CCI in the general rabbit rifle
works perfectly

eley subs are incredibly accurate

Back