Thread: Thermal or Dog

Thermal or Dog

Going on recent threads if were all going to buy thermals there will be no need for the dog no best friend to wind you the deer and generally point you in the right direction and get out the **** at last light when a deer has run to cover is this the way things are to go no dog and technology taking over field craft just my thoughts and the name for my new DOG is going to be FLIR
    Last edited by SDM; 02-04-2016 at 20:42.
    Logic will get you from A to B DEERSTALKING will take you everywhere

I disagree SDM, over Christmas i shot a red hind that ran aprox 30yds in a plantation after being heart shot, she fell into a drainage ditch (full of water) i doubt a thermal would have guided you onto to it as it was below ground level.
    In time i may invest in a thermal, but it will not take the place of my dog.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

SDM, you are soooooooo behind the times!

I've been stalking with the ultimate deer dog/thermal unit for some time now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k9.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	68560

BTW. nice

Sorry sinbad I forgot to put in post my new dog it will be defo be dog before thermal but I can see benefits of one but not for me I'd rather spend more time on my ground trying to outwit the deer Not very well most of the time cheers

Orion love it we're does one purchase such a thing

I do hope to get a thermal but I dont think I could ever get rid of the dogs, for one I cant run as fast as them after a wounded beast.

Everything has its place, thermal for scanning clearfell, dog for stalking rides and scenting/finding deer.

Thermal most certainly won't find all of your dead deer. It's good but it's not that good.

Why wouldn't you want to stalk with a dog anyway? Thermal or not?

Perhaps if you know which bit of cover the deer finished up in; otherwise dog...