Kent Police

stugun

Hi, is anyone on here in the Kent area waiting on renewals or applications??
my license ran out in December 2015 sent old license back early November, renewal still on pile after nearly 5 months.
Phoned last week to chase up, the snotty cow on the other end just said we are short staffed your get it when you get it!!!!
Absolute disgrace

I have dealt with Kent firearms department for over 40 years now and can only praise them highly. I sent my renewal off last week knowing there are delays as with most other counties and made sure I had stocked up on ammo, however, 5 months is a very long time to wait, I hope yours is with you shortly.

Hi, is anyone on here in the Kent area waiting on renewals or applications??
my license ran out in December 2015 sent old license back early November, renewal still on pile after nearly 5 months.
Phoned last week to chase up, the snotty cow on the other end just said we are short staffed your get it when you get it!!!!
Absolute disgrace 

Not my experience.
My FEO is very professional (as were the FLT at HQ when I have had contact with them) and I have never had a problem.
Which area are you?

Get your support body to help. Write to the Chief Constable and complain politely. Also demand a section 7 cert as it is just as much bother to issue that as to send out your real tickets they might mysteriously surface.

David.

Just down the road from you so probably dealing with the same people. My variation has just come through from 15 December but then I expected it to take that long. They have said from the start that their priority is renewals so while I do feel for you in your delay I have to say that despite the wait my dealings with them have all been positive. Hopefully you will be sorted soon.

So five months without the ability to stalk, it's a joke
stalkingkent what a mo did you stock up on, hope it's not expanding ?

Kent Police FA dept, used to be very efficient, but I am afraid to say are sadly lacking in efficiency these days. It is not the fault of the Firearms officers in general, it is the staff at Police HQ that seem to have problems in my opinion. Snotty replies are not the way to treat people, and I would write a letter of complaint to the Police crime commissioner if this is the attitude given, as there is really no need for it.

I had a similar problem with my partners FAC which ran out in September last year. It took some 4 or 5 months, and was only through my phoning and asking politely for them to sort it out. Kent seem to be under a lot of pressure with staff leaving and new staff who are being trained. But that's there issue not ours.

Do not be fobbed off, point out that having paid for the service, you are asking for a simple task to be completed and that there is no excuse for such bad service.

I must say I agreed with Sikamaic, there is no need to treat the girls at Kent FA dept any name, yes they are slow due to lack of staff but if there is an emergency they do get out of there way to help, it happen to me last December and i was very please with the service

Part of the problem might well be the Kent Crime Commissioner. The BASC are trying to get her to change her stance over licensing as she seems to be either biased or ignorant of the real facts.

David.

I think he meant he was treated badly by the staff at Kent, not the other way round. They are under a great deal of pressure at Kent, but be polite but firm and hopefully you will get a result.

I believe she took over the office space for the licencing dept? I also believe she is not standing for re election. Doesn't surprise me after some major cock ups whilst in office. Lets hope things settle down again soon as Kent FAC dept have always been very good and sensible for many years until recently.

Request a temporary Section 7 permit, i don't think you can hold expanding ammunition on it though, but i expect that will prompt them to just issue the certificate in full to avoid the hassle.
Try it, you have nothing to lose.
Cheers
Richard

Request a temporary Section 7 permit, i don't think you can hold expanding ammunition on it though

That's correct, although even some Firearms Licensing Departments appear to be advising those who's FACs have expired that they can 'carry on as usual' with their expanding - a very dodgy situation indeed!

I believe she took over the office space for the licencing dept? I also believe she is not standing for re election. Doesn't surprise me after some major cock ups whilst in office. Lets hope things settle down again soon as Kent FAC dept have always been very good and sensible for many years until recently.

That is what I was told.

I am with Essex and the bottom of my renewal paperwork it has something along the lines of Essex and Kent Firearms. If that's the case things could get interesting

A friend of mine sent his renewal in at the beginning of august 2015, his certificates ran out in October.
He got a receipt for his cheque and a letter stating that he would not get his certs in time!!and not to phone as they were too busy.
However, He did phone and was told that due to Kent and Essex only having 6 officers dealing with FA certs and that it would be at least 3 months after his certs expired and not to phone again!
He got his certs in the middle of March this year.
I know of another person in Dover who has been waiting for 7 months, so getting fed up he phoned, after phoning he was visited by them only to be told he had to hand his expanding ammo over as he was in illegal procession due to his certificate expiring!
Its absolutely shocking the way law abiding people are being treated by the British police.

Spoke to HQ toady and was told I've been issued with a section 7 to which I replied I need to buy a rifle.
(Oh you can't do that) she said, she then went on to say that my feo won't visit me he will do everything he needs to do over the phone??????

Great isn't it, they jack up the fees and the service goes from appalling to non existent!
My Son sent his renewal off in Sept 2015 and received his cert end of Feb 2016.

Section 7 only allows you to possess, not buy weapons or ammo, had a discussion with the FEO who said that it was ok to retain your weapons after expiry as long as you had applied for renewal beforehand, I suggested to him that it was not correct as the holder would not have an in date certificate, he said it will be ok, when I asked him when did the Police get permission from the Home Office to bend the law he couldn't answer. If it went to court I doubt you would have a leg to stand on.

Back