sako 85 synthetic black

Stevie/P

bought the above rifle brand new September 2014 very happy with it but I've noticed that the black rubber type Finnish on the stock is staring to come off i know i haven't knocked it im so careful with my kit. these guns carry a 2 year warranty so has any body else found this happening on there sako 85 stocks.

I have my 85 S/S quite a few years now 2010/11 I love it it gets worked pretty hard when I am out I do try to treat it carefully but for me its only a tool ( and a dammed good one at that ) for what I really enjoy the hunt the rubber coating has came off all along the underside of the stock and the cheekpiece, it seems destined not to last if it gets any tough treatment the grips have also lost most of the little circle like mouldings these things however it do not effect the performance of the rifle whatsoever I think if this worries you are in for a disappointment regards long term use unless you wrap it up in cotton wool lol I think you could probably remove all the coating to leave the original plastic stock which looks pretty good under the coating maybe some day to make the stock more uniform looking I will do this but for now I just shoot it :D............just my tuppence worth

I bought a new synthetic stainless 85 a couple of years ago but mine has had hardly any use so it still looks like new. I have heard that insect repellant can cause problems with the rubber coating, though as yours is still within the warranty period I would contact GMk and ask them for a replacement stock.

yes im thinking along those lines. t
I bought a new synthetic stainless 85 a couple of years ago but mine has had hardly any use so it still looks like new. I have heard that insect repellant can cause problems with the rubber coating, though as yours is still within the warranty period I would contact GMk and ask them for a replacement stock.

my brother in law has had 2x replacement stocks under warranty on his 85 finnlight for the same reason

well GMK have agreed to replace the stock but with a six week wait. i have my rifle back till the new stock arrives.

We refuse to apply the soft touch coatings on our stocks, it just does not last and one is stuck with the warranty issue. Soft touch means soft...means wear. Plastic stocks or any stock are generally not wear proof, why should wear only start after 2 years warranty? Meaning scratches and maybe shiny patches from wear will start from the first day depending on usage.
In Sako's case the soft coating is just not the right material but the market wants it.
edi

well as promised GMK supplied the brand new stock to my gun shop so picked it up last Wednesday fitted it. now of to the range to re zero the rifle looks brand new.

Hi pal mines a sako 85 finnlight and mines done the same peeling right off its only a year old , I have taken it back to the gunshop and waiting a reply but hopefully mine will be replaced

cant see there being any problem with getting youre stock replaced under warranty soon as GMK agree to replace it. it will take about six week for the new stock to arrive from sako. from what i can gather its a common problem with the soft touch stocks. so sako must now of this you would have thought that they would have sorted it out by now.i think its a poor show from sako given there reputation for quality the Finnish on the stock is no determent to the rifle.i think they should go back to the old type synthetic stock with no soft touch Finnish.good luck with you're warranty claim.

I have a sako 85 ss, and the same thing has happened in various places across the stock. I was a little miffed when I first noticed, but having thought about it, I think it is unrealistic to expect such a finish to last forever; as another respondent said, you can't expect a 'soft' finish applied to a hard plastic stock not to peel off in places.

Mines been sent off today ! So hopefully I'l have a new one back shortly as they have agreed to replace it

well glad to here hope it will be quicker than mine was here is how it works GMK take rifle back agree to replace the stock under warranty. be about six weeks was for mine anyway so you're rifle returns back to the shop.with original stock you're gun shop has to order a new stock from GMK and pay for it. then when the new stock arrives at youre gun shop it's back to GMK with the new stock and you're rifle for fitting. then sent back to you're gun shop for you to collect. and then the gun shop gets a refund from GMK for the new stock under warranty claim. now that.s what i call arse about face
Mines been sent off today ! So hopefully I'l have a new one back shortly as they have agreed to replace it

Quick update my new stock has arrived back today 2 weeks from when it was sent off very happy with bromsgrove shooting supplys for sorting it out for me

To be fair mine was a year old with a lot of use , the soft coating was starting to wear off , I think the midges repellent I had on my hands hasn't helped either as it seemed to get worse after that

Back