Chronic Wasting Disease

robbie rowantree

Dear Members

There was a post on the site last night where it was mentioned that CWD had been found in free living reindeer in Norway.

Can anyone confirm this and if we have veterinary members, what bio-security measures do we need to take. I have a number of Scandinavian clients and I would like to send them an advisory note on what clothing and equipment they can and cannot bring.

Thanks in advance

R

Dear Members

There was a post on the site last night where it was mentioned that CWD had been found in free living reindeer in Norway.

Can anyone confirm this and if we have veterinary members, what bio-security measures do we need to take. I have a number of Scandinavian clients and I would like to send them an advisory note on what clothing and equipment they can and cannot bring.

Thanks in advance

R

If you enter "Norwegian Veterinary Institue & CWD" you will find the announcement. It only came through yesterday & most of the deer world is still in shock.

Now that is scary stuff, certainly dont want this. i also have foreign clients and import zoo stock from Scandinavia and the rest of europe.
It seems to be one threat after another in the countryside just now between tree diseases , bluetongue, salmon diseases, attacks from those elected to protect us and now CWD closing in.

It is surely time for all travelling hunters, outdoor workers & recreational visitors to apply biosecurity methods.
I'm not fully competent to dictate but leaving gralloching tools (knives included) clothing & footware that have been used in one area there & not taking them to other areas makes sense.
Certainly all soil & organic matter should be thoroughly removed from kit & items washed in bleach before travel.
Maybe our veterinary colleagues here on SD could add to this to give us all the best possible tools to fight this nightmare.
This is one genie we want kept in the bottle. Lets be proactive!

Ian

Dear Members

Thanks in advance

R
Put your tin hat on .. Advertising without paying is frowned upon.

Since this is the first case in Europe, anyone care to venture how it arrived here ? Its virtually impossible for it to have 'evolved' here so it has been introduced. From Lapland/ Sweden /Russia maybe naturally ?

Since this is the first case in Europe, anyone care to venture how it arrived here ? Its virtually impossible for it to have 'evolved' here so it has been introduced. From Lapland/ Sweden /Russia maybe naturally ?

It was first "discovered" in the US in a research facility, after deer were grazed on pasture previously occupied by scrapie sheep. Is there any history of scrapie in Norway?

Before everyone hits panic mode the little I have leant about CWD is that it is not all that widespread in the USA and there is no reason to assume it will spread here. (I don't understand how it might have got into reindeer heards though in the first place, perhaps someone can explain that.)
Secondly, the reindeer is listed as the most likely deer in Europe to become infected as it the most similar to the American mule deer etc that have it over there and that many deer species may not be able to be infected as they don't have the same biological 'makeup'.

Norwegians may have been doing this sort of investigation as there has been unusual scrapie type prion diseases cropping up in reindeer.

I don't suppose anyone in the UK has checked a deer brain for this disease ever, it could be here and nobody would know. I was chatting to a guy who had roe dying on his estate left right and centre, all scouring. They never did find out what it was and put it down to the deer feeding from pheasant feeders and getting infected with something but I don't think any vets were particularly interested.

Before everyone hits panic mode the little I have leant about CWD is that it is not all that widespread in the USA and there is no reason to assume it will spread here. (I don't understand how it might have got into reindeer heards though in the first place, perhaps someone can explain that.)
Secondly, the reindeer is listed as the most likely deer in Europe to become infected as it the most similar to the American mule deer etc that have it over there and that many deer species may not be able to be infected as they don't have the same biological 'makeup'.

Norwegians may have been doing this sort of investigation as there has been unusual scrapie type prion diseases cropping up in reindeer.

I don't suppose anyone in the UK has checked a deer brain for this disease ever, it could be here and nobody would know. I was chatting to a guy who had roe dying on his estate left right and centre, all scouring. They never did find out what it was and put it down to the deer feeding from pheasant feeders and getting infected with something but I don't think any vets were particularly interested.

There appears to be a very strong link between scrapie & CWD.

Wapiti/elk are just large red deer, wapiti have high rates of infection when exposed. Sika & PD deer will no doubt be similar.

It appears that Dama & Axis remain in the clear ATM, hopefully Capreolus are as well. We know all the red deer subspecies are at threat, as are moose, whitetail, mule deer, reindeer & I suspect the rusa's & sambar's too.

and there is no reason to assume it will spread here. (I don't understand how it might have got into reindeer herds though in the first place, perhaps someone can explain that.)

Here's one possible route: Deer Urine Lure survey July 2015

As per the advice note here: http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A1007359.pdf the agent remains active in soil for years so could easily be brought in by anyone who has worn footwear in a contaminated area...

As for being "not that widespread in the USA", the distribution maps I've seen indicate that in 2000 it was in two or three states and 14 years later it is 16 or so and also two provinces of Canada.

I must of missed it but how is he advertising there???
This bit would suggest trading.

`I have a number of Scandinavian clients and I would like to send them an advisory note on what clothing and equipment they can and cannot bring`

This bit would suggest trading.

`I have a number of Scandinavian clients and I would like to send them an advisory note on what clothing and equipment they can and cannot bring`
so How is that trading on here or looking for clients on here, he's looking for some information to send to him.
And as already said Robbie is dunrobin sporting.....

Here's one possible route: Deer Urine Lure survey July 2015

As per the advice note here: http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A1007359.pdf the agent remains active in soil for years so could easily be brought in by anyone who has worn footwear in a contaminated area...

As for being "not that widespread in the USA", the distribution maps I've seen indicate that in 2000 it was in two or three states and 14 years later it is 16 or so and also two provinces of Canada.

This is a useful map showing distribution and spread. This is current 2015.

USGS-map-of-CWD-distribution.jpg

Last edited:
so How is that trading on here or looking for clients on here, he's looking for some information to send to him.
And as already said Robbie is dunrobin sporting.....
If the chap had posted it under Dunrobin Sporting then we wouldn`t be discussing it!

This is a useful map showing distribution and spread. This is current 2015.

USGS-map-of-CWD-distribution.jpg

Well, just that lump in the middle runs from the NW corner of Wyoming down to the southern border of Kansas - which is about 760miles - to say nothing about the outbreaks in Texas & New Mexico, up in Canada, Wisconsin and Illinois and points east. All of which seems to be fairly 'widespread' to me?

If the chap had posted it under Dunrobin Sporting then we wouldn`t be discussing it!

And if you'd not jumped in with both feet making a statement about non existent advertising posts we would not be here would we....... he was asking for information not looking for clients.....!!!

And if you'd not jumped in with both feet making a statement about non existent advertising posts we would not be here would we....... he was asking for information not looking for clients.....!!!

Gentlemen, can we please stick to the issue at hand - the mods will do the necessary , if its necessary.

Back