Spray on Waterproofing review

caorach

Forum user diver Dave repairs waders and the like and he also sells spray on waterproofing suitable for a range of clothing etc.

as some might recall I'm a big fan of the British army wind proof smock which makes a great stalking jacket. Being poly cotton is is, of course, not waterproof but it is also very breathable making it very comfortable and you are generally drier in it than in one of the gore tex shells. In my view gore tex has probably had its day for general wear.

Despite not being waterproof you can treat the fabric of the smock to make it water resistant and at that point it is waterproof for most stalking purposes.

today I gave diver Dave's spray on waterproofing its first test and so thought to post my initial thoughts. I'm in the Hebrides and went fishing in horizontal heavy rain. I had to give up after about an hour as I could no longer hold the rod side on to the wind and standing was becoming difficult, and a little dangerous in some spots on the loch side. I'm pleased to report that Dave's spray on waterproofing held up well in the most extreme of conditions. I had a fleece hat on and the hood of the smock didn't let any water get at the hat at all. On returning I'd dumped the smock on the floor of the car and the water was literally lying in puddles on it when I went to get out of the car. In a few places, at the back of the neck for example, the inside of the smock had started to become a little damp but the contents of the pockets were dry despite puddles lying on top of the pocket covers.

now it is impossible to make a direct comparison to the other options based on one day out but I would be confident that Dave's repel treatment will keep smock wearing stalkers dry for 99% of normal stalking use so it is well worth giving it a try.

Maybe once I get a few more wet days out I will post a more detailed review but in the mean time if you need to waterproof some clothing give diver Dave a pm and try his product, not only does it work well but you will be supporting someone who supports your sport.

I used the same stuff on two hats with excellent results water just sits on the fabric and runs off I've not tried it on a jacket yet.

Good to hear - buying some at Kelso - ordered to proof my army smock with
love it when a plan comes together

Forum user diver Dave repairs waders and the like and he also sells spray on waterproofing suitable for a range of clothing etc.

as some might recall I'm a big fan of the British army wind proof smock which makes a great stalking jacket. Being poly cotton is is, of course, not waterproof but it is also very breathable making it very comfortable and you are generally drier in it than in one of the gore tex shells. In my view gore tex has probably had its day for general wear.

Despite not being waterproof you can treat the fabric of the smock to make it water resistant and at that point it is waterproof for most stalking purposes.

today I gave diver Dave's spray on waterproofing its first test and so thought to post my initial thoughts. I'm in the Hebrides and went fishing in horizontal heavy rain. I had to give up after about an hour as I could no longer hold the rod side on to the wind and standing was becoming difficult, and a little dangerous in some spots on the loch side. I'm pleased to report that Dave's spray on waterproofing held up well in the most extreme of conditions. I had a fleece hat on and the hood of the smock didn't let any water get at the hat at all. On returning I'd dumped the smock on the floor of the car and the water was literally lying in puddles on it when I went to get out of the car. In a few places, at the back of the neck for example, the inside of the smock had started to become a little damp but the contents of the pockets were dry despite puddles lying on top of the pocket covers.

now it is impossible to make a direct comparison to the other options based on one day out but I would be confident that Dave's repel treatment will keep smock wearing stalkers dry for 99% of normal stalking use so it is well worth giving it a try.

Maybe once I get a few more wet days out I will post a more detailed review but in the mean time if you need to waterproof some clothing give diver Dave a pm and try his product, not only does it work well but you will be supporting someone who supports your sport.

Been looking forward to this review, and sounds like it's a positive outcome. Will order some based on this.

M

Good to hear - buying some at Kelso - ordered to proof my army smock with
love it when a plan comes together

I'm sure you know that the smock will never be completely waterproof but it will keep the rain out for and hour or two which is long enough for most stalkers. With the jacket being so breathable you don't get damp from sweat and so actually stay warmer and drier than you would in a completely waterproof jacket.

it took probably just over half a bottle of repel to proof my jacket so worth investing in two bottles.

Can vouch for Dave , has been friend for years now & a gent....
This stuff really works

Paul

just ordered some for spraying on my army surp smock.....Thanks for the tip Caorach!

The info actually came to me from Paul (Sauer) who posted above but I thought to post a wee review as it is good to be able to buy decent gear from people who support our sport, specially when they are selling a quality product.

i will try to remember to do a little update in the autumn when the jacket has had a lot more days on it.

How does it compare to the wash in type

The first page of a Google search on C6 Fluorocarbon indicates it would probably be more effective as a waterproofer. It can withstand oil and water, the alternatives do not repel oil as effectively.

Précis from the first couple of Google pages...

The Fluorosurfactants based on C8 Fluorocarbons were the best waterproofers but the worst health wise, they are apparently indestructible and accumulate in humans and other animals. 3M Scotchgard was C8 based until they were encouraged to switch to an alternative in 2000 by the Environmental Protection Agency. The C6 Fluorocarbons are apparently much less likely to be harmful but all manufacturers are trying to find PFC free alternatives. All Nikwax products are PFC free and Grainger have new PFC free waterproofers and are phasing out those with it.

Many of the outdoor wear manufacturers are offering PFC free DWR treatments, but retaining it for their highest performing clothing.

Having read all that on your behalf, I will probably stick with Nikwax and Grainger PFC free.

Alan

Last edited:
All

Thanks for the kind words. Repel is a C6 fluorocarbon, the latest type. It is bound in a clever water soluble resin, that effectively traps it, and this gives two advantages. Firstly it binds to the fabric well (and my shed door) and if/when the effect is reduced all you do is heat the fabric again and the effect starts all over again. There are a number of nasty DWR chemicals, and in testing we were sent a number of them. These were rejected. if you had to wear gloves or a mask when dealing with the concentrate we rejected them. We initially used it for treating waders, and restoring their breathability (by creating an airspace on the outer layer of the fabric, nothing breathes when wetted) and were so pleased with the results decided to sell it as well.

Chemical Basis: C6-fluorocarbon resin with hyperbranched polymers in a hydrocarbon matrix,
P.F.O.A. and P.F.O.S. free.

The active ingredient is in tiny amounts, you really dont need much of it, most people put way too much on and it runs off (waterproofing your shed door!). You also cannot apply it twice, as once dry it repels its self.

Speak to the lads at Moray Outfitters, they will be selling it at Kelso, and in the future. They have done considerable testing in ways i would never have considered, and i am sure they will explain their results.

diverdave;1101509 The active ingredient is in tiny amounts said:
I may well have put a little too much on but it must be said that I find the spray on waterproofing a little harder to apply than the wash in stuff.

In terms of "safety" and such things then I know that some out there have been trying to imply that all wash in/spray on waterproofing but their own are extremely unsafe and kill babies on Christmas day. In view of how chemicals are regulated etc. I simply can't believe that all of these rather vague claims are true and so I certainly have no qualms about using the various commercially available products.

So far yours is going well Dave though it hasn't had an extensive test as yet but hopefully reports will follow maybe at the end of the fishing season in the autumn.

Keep us posted Caorach please, as if anyone is going to give a "heavily used in bad conditions" it will be you !
So for my thinking a very valid trial.

Daves not joking about the shed door ! , think everything within squirting range has been plastered in for trials!

You throw water at the shed door now and it's beaded and on the deck in seconds.... Then run your hand down the door it's dry!
😆😆😆

Paul

has anyone done infra red or ultra violet tests to see if it illuminates you like a beacon, as i have read some animals can see these, people/poachers to will the right kit

has anyone done infra red or ultra violet tests to see if it illuminates you like a beacon, as i have read some animals can see these, people/poachers to will the right kit

Yes, but not on purpose. I was messing about with my NV kit and my smock was not glowing, and my shed does not glow, and the security cameras are NV, the active ingredient is in such tiny amounts that even if it did show under UV i doubt it would show as much as the movement i make, i am not known for my patients!

Coarach, thanks for the review. Before autumn give the jacket a wash / hose down and then get it good and hot as you dry it. It will re activate the chemistry and it will be back as good as new. basically every time you think the effect is diminishing get it good and warm!

Back