Bullet Pouches

wardle

I may be missing the point here but what do people use bullet pouches for? Is it for guns with a floorplate so you have something to put the rounds in when you unload or do people take out more than a full mag out stalking. Or is it just because they look nice?

Thanks

Probably as many answers as respondents...optimism about the likely numbers to be encountered? Knowledge about the likely numbers to be encountered? PPPPPP - not much good at home in the ammo safe if you need it? Different ammo for different targets? Pessimism about ability to connect bullet with target?

I have a full magazine and a five clip from a Norma box in my pocket, in full expectation of maybe using one but a few experiences of two shots and two animals on an outing. So in my case optimism!

Alan

Last edited:
I may be missing the point here but what do people use bullet pouches for? Is it for guns with a floorplate so you have something to put the rounds in when you unload or do people take out more than a full mag out stalking. Or is it just because they look nice?

Thanks
Try stalking into a deer with extra rounds clinking around in your coat pocket .. that`s what bullet pouches are for.

Your better looking at them than looking for them. Always go out with rounds in rifle and some in my pouch.

M

Goes back to the day of single shot and double rifles, which many of us still use. You want to be able to grab one or two rounds for a quick reload.

I usually fill up my mag and 1 in the spout , the spare one when i unload goes in a separate pocket so there is no noise. If I loose off 5 shots I'v either ran out of boot space, or I shouldn't be shooting ahah!

So for most it seems to be either backup or for when unloaded with a floor plate,

im known to go massively overkill with cartridges for the shotgun, yet rarely take more than a mag out with me when shooting , unless I am lamping.

"you can never have too many books, too much wine or too much ammunition"

Rifle becomes an expensive tomato stake without ammo.
I usually proceed with a full mag and 5 in a hankie, plastic clip or leather/suede "pouch"

never needed them, but used them often

I like to do a bit of long range plinking when coming off the hill
caught many a hoodie crow whilst eyeing up the gralloch not the departing stalker
once had 3 foxes in a row..
etc etc

Always take MTM box with 20 rounds in it ( full ) easy to check in the dark that all cases are accounted for.

There's a few of reasons I go out with more than a mag full. First and foremost, one of my rifles only has a three round mag and I stalk in Muntjac Central (Norfolk), so there's a very good chance I will get more than one deer.
Next, with that in mind, there's always the possibility of needing another shot on any beast. Only happens very infrequently, but has been known.
Lastly, if I have an unexplained miss, I like to be able to shoot a group to confirm whether or not all's well with the rifle.

if I have an unexplained miss, I like to be able to shoot a group to confirm whether or not all's well with the rifle.

...and that should be good enough reason for everyone to make sure that they head out with ample rounds to spare.

I refill my bullet pouch before it goes back in the safe, and know at a glance when I take it back out that for a normal stalk I'm good to go.

I carry my spare rounds in bullet pouches because the cardboard box they came in soon gets tatty, and even worse if wet, putting them in and out of my pocket or in the case of when I carry 20 or more, I carry them in bullet pouches in my 1st aid bag that I carry when on my foreign trips.

i have a box in the car for if i have a miss, so i can check/ re zero as im a long way from home sometimes.

Thanks

I carry one so the bullets are safe in one place I can monitor how meany bullet have be used and so I can load and unload my gun at the place or ground I am shooting at I all so do the same with my rifle bolt

I only have 3 round mag, so if I shoot an animal which needs a follow up, which isn't often or sometimes I give a second to prevent a long drag. I always feel I then can't really take another shot at an animal without that insurance round in the mag if one is encountered on the way out from the stalk. I also have distinctively different pouches for each caliber so I don't leave a stray round in my pocket and put it in the wrong rifle in a rush some day. I pick the rifle out the cabinet, then get the correct pouch for it out the ammo safe. Don't have any other ammo of different caliber with me.

Try looking for a jacket like this. No more ammo clinking around. Bullet loops inside the pocket.

DSCF1164.jpg
Grant.

Thanks

Because most sporting rifles only have a magazine capacity of at most of five rounds that is unless you are one of those people that go out with a tactical type rifle with a large capacity detachable magazine. Most stalkers need to carry some spare ammunition for several reasons and a spare ammunition pouch or slide makes a convenient safe silent way of carrying spare ammunition if you don't have a spare detachable magazine to carry the rounds in.

I normally carry 10 rounds with me when I stalk whatever type of rifle I use. How many do you carry?

Last edited:
i have 4 in my mag and one in the spout , and thats all I take, but I dont have to meet a cull plan so I if I shoot 2 on an outing id probably stop aha!

I refill my bullet pouch before it goes back in the safe, and know at a glance when I take it back out that for a normal stalk I'm good to go.

That's a really good approach because the time to realise that more ammo is needed is upon returning home, not when leaving!

I had a bullet pouch made by a local cobbler for many years as my first rifle was a Brno 601 with no detachable mag. For 35 years i used a single shot rifle that i still have and now have a lovely bullet pouch by Brett Parsons.
Only ever took out 5 rounds and if i shot 4 deer i would never shoot the 5th round.

Back