Calor/butane/camping gas

ILoveBambi

Hopefully someone can advise.
I have a camping stove (2 burners & grill) instructions state I can use propane or butane, also a 3 way fridge. I usually use the 4.5 Kg butane (blue bottle) however I have a nearly full bottle of "patio" gas think 15Kg (green bottle) on an old patio heater.
Question - could I use this gas on my stove / fridge rather than waste it?
ILB

Yes its just a marketing con ,its propane done in a different coloured bottle and as yours is a multi jet cooker will have no problem burning it atb

One works below freezing point and one doesnt, they also have different burn speeds so have different pressure regulators

Thanks for that, just had a closer look, the regulator on the (green) patio gas bottle says propane and is pressure rated the same as my stove so a happy bunny

its called cod -oligy mate different regs different tubes different colours,blue,s dearest flo-gas works on either ,half the price

I have a caravan that uses blue Butane. It does get sluggish and lose pressure in very cold temperatures. Any advantages/disadvantages to moving to propane then? And is it just a matter of changing regulators so they fit the bottles or are jets on appliances/cooker etc different?
Sorry to hijack thread..

I have a caravan that uses blue Butane. It does get sluggish and lose pressure in very cold temperatures. Any advantages/disadvantages to moving to propane then? And is it just a matter of changing regulators so they fit the bottles or are jets on appliances/cooker etc different?
Sorry to hijack thread..

Not 100% sure but I've seen the tall orange bottles (propane) on loads of camp sites, usually static caravans. I believe there is something to do with the jets on the cooker due to different flow or burn rates but mine lists both gasses. I'd check other appliances in the caravan eg fridge, heater, hot water boiler etc.
ILB

This may help explain the sluggish / loss of pressure:
Butane and propane are stored under pressure in liquid form in the cylinders, as you use gas this reduces the pressure in the cylinder and the liquid then boils releasing more gas for you to use. Butane has a boiling point of -1 DegC, in colder weather butane won't boil and release gas so limits its use outdoors. Propane has a boiling point of -42 DegC so is good to use outside no matter what the weather.

ATB 243 Stalker

don't make the mistake of using the propane and regulator from your roofer's gas bottle on your propane barbeque......

It works but sure as hell cooks everything quicker!

You need a propane regulator usually a red one to use propane, its more expensive put gasses off at lower temperature so better in cold weather and has a higher calorific value so more heat from less gas used.

Back