Recommendations for a target some for a 22lr

nun_hunter

I currently have a Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20 with the E Plex reticle on my .22lr which I use for rabbits and a lot of longer range target practice. The problem I'm having is that the turrets aren't proper tactical turrets and are a bit fiddly to use and after a complete turn it is very hard to keep track of where the turret is set. Also I've run out of elevation on the turrets bu 140m. The reticle is great for using holdover but I prefer to dial in so I'm looking for a replacement scope.

Can anyone recommend a good scope at the lower end of the budget that will be reliable enough to allow accurate dialling and have a fine enough reticle to shoot rabbit sized targets at extended ranges? From a search online a Nikko Sterling Targetmaster in 6-24 seems to meet the requirements but is it good enough and worth the £250 new? Ideally (an American) Zeiss Conquest would be great but think it's a bit out my budget even secondhand although if I sell the Burris that would then be ok.

not target turrets but ok for dialling the hawke sport ir hd i have on my rimmie 22 for five plus years no need for the ir, was perfect night and day,from your feet to over hundred clear and crisp,you can pick one up for 100 quid or so ,ps the ret, is fine too,:thumb:

Nikon P-22 comes in 2-7x35, and has 50 yard parallax, but works well at 100 and further with .22 LR, with tactical turrets in MOA and in LR drops, which you can change out per your preference, on sale now for $129.00.

Nikon P-223 comes in 3-9x40 and 4-12x40 with BDC reticles and nice external turrets, resettable to zero, your choice for $199.00.

Last edited:
A Vortex if you can get a S/H one, alternatibely look at The Deben range and get a Mil dot one, no need to dial then, use 50 yds zero and 1 mild dot at 75 yds and two at 100, you will not be very far off (Eley subs). In my case with Eley subs, 50 yd zero drop at 100 is approx 7" which is 2 mil dots at 10x For info adult bunnies ears are 3.5" tall and doesnt varry v much if you dont have a rangefinder.

D

A Vortex is the top choice as I have one on my 243 but I don't think I can afford even a second hand one for the .22

I've used mil dots before and although quick and effective I like sitting in the highseat and dialling in on rabbits as I have the time to do so.

I was using a mates falcon optics m18 4-18x44 on a 22lr recently and I was quite impressed with it.
It's a ffp reticle but it's still fine enough for accurate shots at longer range.
His had mil dots with hash marks in between which were good and it also has tactical turrets with around 86 moa of adjustment.
I thought it was good value at £270

With bunnies no point I have a 3-9 x56 with mil dots and a drop chart on my stock just ping it and select correct dot and dead, just automatic now. V good when on the lamp. Simple.

D

Try a Hawke Airmax sf 30. Great value. Good build quality. Tactical turret and good or reticle.
I have had one for a while. Always returns to zero after dailing in.

I've just pulled a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 with mil-dot reticule off a CF - I was very happy but replaced with something brighter at dawn/dusk. Pretty crisp, seems very tough. It's in good condition and the reticule should be good for .22. Nice big tactical turrets too, so easy to adjust for range and windage. I might be interested in selling - there's no box but it's otherwise pretty good. The current version (Tactical?? Sniper??) is about £200-220 new. Drop me a pm if you want to know more.

With bunnies no point I have a 3-9 x56 with mil dots and a drop chart on my stock just ping it and select correct dot and dead, just automatic now. V good when on the lamp. Simple.

D

^ this

turrets on low end scopes tend to be a nightmare at either tracking or repeatability
I had a hawke, a tasco and a burris all very dubious when using turrets

much prefer quick hold over either with mildots or known graduations such as the Meopta RF stadia on the 6x and 7x 2000 range

I have dealt in quite a few scopes over time including just selling a NS target master recently to a forum member. Looking at secondhand prices, In the lower range I Would probably go with a an MTC Mamba the light if you want low profile turrets, if you get up into the mid range so £2-300 pounds I would most definitely say either a Vortex Viper or a Nikon Monarch III. I saw a 6-24x50 with fine cross hairs go on FleaBay the other day for £275. I have two of these, bought new, needless to say the glass is good but the all important consideration for me in this area is build quality and these offerings are well up there. Glass is a very subjective area all through the price ranges. The good news is that most people seem to be looking for increasingly complex reticles so I think you should find the market for a fine cross hair less crowded. Good luck!

^ this

turrets on low end scopes tend to be a nightmare at either tracking or repeatability
I had a hawke, a tasco and a burris all very dubious when using turrets

much prefer quick hold over either with mildots or known graduations such as the Meopta RF stadia on the 6x and 7x 2000 range

+1

Dialling and budget scopes doesn't always bode well IME whereas working out exact magnification for holdover and milldots/other ballistic ret works well, is repeatable, reliable and quick. Made for the job is Hawke's new HD Rimfire ret scope. I tried one on my 22LR and at 7x mag for eEley subs, with a 50yd zero, it's point and shoot all the way out to 150 yds with repeatable accuracy. No messing about with inaccurate or poorly machined cheap and nasty erector tubes/turrets which simply don't give great repeatability or accuracy on cheap scopes. Personally, I prefer the reliability and speed of a rangefinder rather than trying to work out range using milldots which usually requires zooming to max mag on most SFP scopes then zooming back for your best ballistic match. The tech is there, it's easy and quick to use and combined with holdover friendly scope rets is my preferred way to shoot rabbits.

Back