Lower mag scope

J111

I've currently got a fixed 8 x 56 on my 30-06 which has been good generally and I don't find it overly bulky or heavy but lately I've been sitting out for munties in a few spots where quick < 50m shots are required and have been struggling to quickly acquire the target and as most of my stalking is basically woodland I've been wondering about swapping it for a lower mag scope. Most of my stalking is dusk and dawn so low light performance is important. Also I'm planning on using this rifle for a driven boar trip later in the year and a hill stalking trip.

Would a 1.5 - 6 x 42 fit the bill? Any good for driven or will I still need another solution for that?

I've currently got a fixed 8 x 56 on my 30-06 which has been good generally and I don't find it overly bulky or heavy but lately I've been sitting out for munties in a few spots where quick < 50m shots are required and have been struggling to quickly acquire the target and as most of my stalking is basically woodland I've been wondering about swapping it for a lower mag scope. Most of my stalking is dusk and dawn so low light performance is important. Also I'm planning on using this rifle for a driven boar trip later in the year and a hill stalking trip. Would a 1.5 - 6 x 42 fit the bill? Any good for driven or will I still need another solution for that?

I have an almost new, not new but in new condition, Tasco Titan 1.25-4.5 x 26mm 30mm tube with a 4A reticule.
The Titan range is their top of the range models so don't be put off by the make.
I have not put it up for sale yet but if you are interested I would let it go for £150.00 it has the box, eye cups and paperwork with it.
I also have a Doctor ZF 6x 42 -M this was bought on this site for around £100 and I have had it serviced at a cost of £81.00
This a perfectly serviceable scope but is a bit tired looking, I would cut my losses and let that go for £150 also.

Last edited:
The problem with large objective scopes is getting them mounted so that when you shoulder the rifle the eye instantly falls in line with the scope. May be a 6x42 scope would suit you better in low mounts so you don't have to "hunt" for the view through the scope when you mount the rifle. Perhaps even a 4x scope like a 4x36 or 4x40 would suit your needs?

I also have a Tasco Titan 1.25-4.5x26mm scope, with #1 reticle. It is very quick, with both eyes open and the big dark post. And the sharp tip of the post makes for precision shooting. Great scope, make by Hakko in Japan, about $600 list price when it came out. Mine has been on two .375 H&H rifles. I had a Leupold 1.25-5x32mm duples on another .375 long ago....great scope.

I also have a 1.5-6x44mm 4A reticle, also a 30mm tube. It has a huge field of view, even on 6x.

A 4x36 or 4x40mm with a fine crosshair and about a 2 MOA dot is a very quick scope, but precision enough for 200 yard shots. You can get Leupold to put one on their scopes. The dot on the Nikon 3-9x40AO EFR may be too small. This is marketed as a precision .22 LR scope, but I talked with Nikon and they said it is rated for airguns and .375 H&H.

The biggest factor, though is probably fit of the rifle to you, and how forgiving the eyebox is on the scope, and eye relief so that when you mount it, you don't have to find anything. So you need to try some scopes on rifles, but the acid test is on your rifle.

I have an almost new, not new but in new condition, Tasco Titan 1.25-4.5 x 26mm 30mm tube with a 4A reticule.
The Titan range is their top of the range models so don't be put off by the make.
I have not put it up for sale yet but if you are interested I would let it go for £150.00 it has the box, eye cups and paperwork with it.
I also have a Doctor ZF 6x 42 -M this was bought on this site for around £100 and I have had it serviced at a cost of £81.00
This a perfectly serviceable scope but is a bit tired looking, I would cut my losses and let that go for £150 also.

Hmmm, interesting. What is the 26mm objective scope like in low light?

IMG_0753.jpg This is the rifle by the way - not a very good picture but it's a cz550 ebony hoggs back.

I have a Swaro 1-6 x 26 on my Maral and use that with 150 gn bullets for Roe and have not struggled unduly yet.
By the time it gets beyond recognition it is time to go home anyway.

My .308 woodland rifle has had a Zeiss Diatal C 4x32 for the past 15 years and I wouldn't part with it. Light, bright and right down over the bore. You can pick them up very cheaply now as nobody wants such a boring, old-fashioned scope. Don't be fooled, they are the right tool for the job.

Just looking at the rifle I think I would struggle to get a scope much lower due to the bolt handle on the Cz. Currently got the 8 x 56 mounted with medium warne mounts which leaves a tiny gap between scope and barrel.

hows about a variable ive got a 2.5-10x50 on my stalking rifle and its a fantastic peice of kit, 99% of the time i just keep it on 10x but if i'm going into thick cover ive got the option to wind it down to what ever i want, i also even tho ive never had to use it wind the mag right down to 2.5x if a deer has made it to cover after being shot and i havnt seen it fall or it hasnt gone down as expected, it just gives you a better chance quick follow up shot if you need it

Just looking at the rifle I think I would struggle to get a scope much lower due to the bolt handle on the Cz. Currently got the 8 x 56 mounted with medium warne mounts which leaves a tiny gap between scope and barrel.

I have noticed that newer or modern scopes if you like have very large eye bells on the scope but older scopes these are much slimmer and with the eye bell being slimmer you can get the scope lower before it hits the bolt handle.

alter the bolt
its an ugly thing anyway
easy to do and you could send it to someone for simple bluing if you wanted for pennies

Got another consideration. Have put myself forward for humane dispatch service for the police and so am thinking the ability to turn zoom down is desirable. Can't see **** through my 8 x 56 at sort of 5 a 10m range. I'm thinking of going for either a 1.5 - 6 x 42 or a 2.5 - 10 x 50 sort of thing. I think I want the larger objective than a 25mm for low light performance and a bit of higher magnification as thinking about it I do like being able to print the odd nice group on paper at 100 odd m. Thoughts?

Got another consideration. Have put myself forward for humane dispatch service for the police and so am thinking the ability to turn zoom down is desirable. Can't see **** through my 8 x 56 at sort of 5 a 10m range. I'm thinking of going for either a 1.5 - 6 x 42 or a 2.5 - 10 x 50 sort of thing. I think I want the larger objective than a 25mm for low light performance and a bit of higher magnification as thinking about it I do like being able to print the odd nice group on paper at 100 odd m. Thoughts?

I am on the Wiltshire RTA call out list too. I use a short barrelled scope mounted .222 but have never had the need to use the scope yet, as most, if not all, of the call-outs I've attended, I have been able to get close enough to just point the barrel.

Yes I'm expecting that to be the case for most occasions. Wouldn't you normally use a shotgun for those occasions though?

Yes I'm expecting that to be the case for most occasions. Wouldn't you normally use a shotgun for those occasions though?

No, the .222 is a lot quieter as I use a moderator too, and can be a lot less messy particularly in built up areas.

How much do you use the knife mate? I've dealt with two roe that have been run over and just cut their throat.

How much do you use the knife mate? I've dealt with two roe that have been run over and just cut their throat.

I only use the knife to slit them open if I am disposing of the carcass on adjacent land or double hedge or where I need the 'Aroma' to attract foxes, badgers or other carrion.
Normally I just drag it to the side of the road, out of sight, and ask the Police to inform the council to arrange disposal and follow it up with the council the following day to make sure they have been informed.

Back