Underground range at Holland and Holland

It would look like it is, I had a play with a system at Dortmund this year and if its anything like that it should be a good wheeze

The shooting cinema's we have here are 25 mtrs. Great fun and good practice. The only thing to remember is that no matter what animal they show and the films can show animals scaled at perhaps 75 mtrs your still only shooting at 25 mtrs. You can shoot 50 rounds in no time and you rifle gets very warm. I've killed everything from Roe to Zebra at the shooting cinema :D

It would look like it is, I had a play with a system at Dortmund this year and if its anything like that it should be a good wheeze
I watched a few people shooting those, they looked really good.
Question is though, are these systems intelligent enough to take into account lead, or are they take the POA as literal?

Can someone explain how the cinema system works . I appreciate there is a range, do the then just project animals downrange or it it footage of say woodland and you have to frist spot and then shoot the animal. How is it scored? It all sounds good fun but how does it work? Regards SBM

I've shot on the Cinema Tir in Paris. Unless, even if, you an aperture adjustable 'scope you may need a 'ring' to get it to focus if the distance between shooter and target screen is below ten metres.

I've also seen the system that Viking Arms market in the UK. That's an arcade game, no more nor less, IMHO. The Cinema Tir is a valid teaching aid. The Viking Arms one isn't.

SBM, it works by a laser that you, the shooter, can't see the beam or the 'red dot'. This is either inbuilt in a plastic full size rifle, or pump action style shotgun, or by an underslung device that clamps onto the rifle barrel or lower barrel of an O/U style rifle or shot gun. On a S/B/S there is an adapter clamp that allows the same.

Shooter then 'fires' at a bullseye displayed on the cinema screen. Four or five shots so the point of 'strike' is calibrated to where the sights, or bead or 'scope on the weapon appears to be aimed at.

In the plastic ẃeapon the trigger fires the beam. In your weapon a slave trigger fits behind your trigger so that pulling back your trigger trips the beam. So you couldn't use this in a BSA Ultra air rifle with a plastic stock and moulded trigger guard. But could on a BSA Ultra air rifle with a wood stock and metal trigger guard. As the slave triggér clamps onto the trigger guard.

Firing does the same. It on your weapon has a electric cable connecting the slave trigger to the clamped on laser unit. Fitting both is less than five minutes and doesn't damage the weapon.

When the thing is fired the quarry animal will carry on...a miss, roll and fall, a hit, roll and carry on a wound. Action then stops and you see where your hit went.

On the shotgun mode it also shows the pattern spread and where in that spread you hit. So did you get a classic 'beak' shot or centre the bird, or 'bum' shoot it. It also shows the fligt path and the track of your gun path. So you can see if you tracked and followed through before releasing the shot or merely intécepted the bird.

That's the Cinema Tir one.

Must be for shooting moving deer which would rule out what % of SD deer hunters who only do head shots on stationary deer?

I forgot to add, SBM, you'll need snap caps if bring your own weapon. Not for any need of the laser system but, as in normal dry firing, to prevent damage to your shot gun or rifle. Just as you'd do if dry firing 'at home' in the usual manner.

There's no constraint in the cinema set up that would stop you firing from kneeling, sitthing, standing or standing off sticks. If there was height enough you could construct a 'mini' high seat to shoot from.

The deer can be also 'set' stationary, side on, front on, oblique or acute on. So again you could practice crawling in and taking a prone shot from an artificial tussock to re-create a hill stalk.

Ditto you could construct a 'mini' duck blind or even grouse butt. Heck, if you wanted, even shooting from a 4x4 driver's seating through a the passenger window for those who prefer that means of stalking.

Effectively if it fits in the room you cinema is housed in..and doesn't obstruct the ceiling mounted projector...the only limitation is your imaginatíon.

But as to a 'left and right' I never tried that with a true double gun (with two triggers) so you'd need to ask H &H. I shot doubles, two shots, yes but with their plastic gun.

Last edited:
Back