.22 Hornet. Very long OAL.

neil the plumber

Just got the gauge out to fine tune some home loads with Nosler Varmint 40 grn bullets. If I use the dimensions gained from the guage, the bullet is only held in place by about 2mm of brass. ( Brass not been trimmed from purchase.) Am I tempting fate loading to this, considering they are to be used for hunting, with all the possible jolts they could get before being loaded or even unloaded if a shot does not present itself.
All this said. I have not tested them yet and they could be *****, but i don't want to waste my time and load them, never to use them.
Thoughts and experiances greatly appreciated.
Cheers Neil.:)

stuff em in

what little gain you get from the perception of kissing the lands you will lose from the massive concentricity issues you will get from not having any bearing surface in the case

calibre depth minimum is the rule of thumb
never had a rifle yet that couldn't shoot with a decent jump

think factory.
They all work

+1 on this.

Also you might feel a bit silly when you unload to get down from a high seat/climb an obstacle and the bullet sticks in the barrel, restricting your shooting to a certain degree.

David.

I just used seat them to feed in the mag and crimp them .they all shot well in my CZ

All of the above. Sell the gauge to someone who wants it and seat them to magazine length. (Then crimp!) This seating to the lands is ridiculous. Not necessary in sporting rifles. You lose more than you gain.~Muir

Many thanks gents. Information taken onboard. This rifle has never fed from the mag for whatever reason. So it all goes over a Bob Sledge. That's why I keep coming back to tweaking my home loads as always looking for for that round on round accuracy.

Back