Thread: Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 question?

Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 question?

I recently purchased an S&B 5-25x56 PMII with a P4FL reticle 1/4 moa in the second focal plane. Having, I think, read the instructions manual quite carefully and looked on line I emailed them to ask 'at what magnification do the subtensions show the correct moa' that was over a week ago and a follow up email has not rendered a response either, doesn't auger well if I have to make a warranty claim does it!?

Anyway can anyone help me with this question. I can't believe it is not stated in the instructions or on their website, even cheap scopes like Nikko Stirlings or MTC's clearly stress this in their instructions and specs.

Please, only informed comments, the supplier started with the comment 'well a sniper who used these told me it was.....' major supplier, basic question, speculative here say answer....crap!

Sorely disappointing it is detracting from the joy of a major financial commitment and instrument!

thanks TDP

I haven't got the details for that scope but I can tell you how I worked out the power setting to get the correct mil radians for my Zeiss. (rapid Z reticle)
    I drew a line exactly 100mm with clear lines to delineate the ends and set this up at exactly 100m from the scope. Then focused the scope and moved the zoom up from 6x till the cross hatching was exactly covering marks on the line. This means that at 12x my Zeiss can be used to range targets of a known size or dimension. If the target is 150mm and is delineated by 1 increment then it is 150m away.
    Is this what you are trying to do?

Hi Hybridfiat, your answer is clear and comes to a solution from the other direction, you are proving what should be a truism, thanks.

This would be a resort to calculate what I need this way if I have to but I would appreciate the definitive answer if anyone has it.

25 power is correct for my mildot 2fp 5-25x56 PMII . I read it in the manual and have verified it too. Your ret is different but I would be surprised if it were different.

if you look towards the back of the instruction book where the reticle sub tensions are recorded it says coverages at magnifications 25x or 12.5x depending on reticle. Am I right in thinking you have a mil based reticle with MOA turrets?
    Last edited by srvet; 15-04-2016 at 16:04.

SRvet, I feel you are right, consulting the S&B website the detailed dimensional drawing of the P4FL ret SFF details all the subs and their scale states in the final column 25x. However I could not find anything in the actual manual. The answer I got from the supplier AFTER they finally, and I would say allegedly, got an answer from S&B was 12.5X (I will look again and check) which I had deep reservations about the accuracy of that statement which is why I posed this question. I still can't believe someone can have no other trade than optics supply, is a major distributer of this, and other top end brands, doesn't know the answer, and begins a reply with 'well a sniper that used these said' which was wrong and I don't get an answer from the manufacturer! Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond much appreciated. TDP

Ps yes mil ret moa turrets......and why do they do that?! There is a fix on the net by a Scandinavian chap which involves sticky tape and a Sharpie to coincide the two.....really on a 2000++ scope?!

FFP and the 0.1 Mrad clicks may have been a better choice for your requirements. But hindsight is always 20/20.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

I had the choice of either FFP or SFP at the same price. As my shooting is all paper punching, so known distances and that all my other scopes are SFP I opted for that, for a resale cons I guess the FFP would be a better option. Agreed on the turrets though guess the mental arithmetic will help to keep the Altzheimers at bay!

I was just about to buy a PM2 , they must do a fine moa ret to match moa turrets surely ???

Just to close this off in fact the subtensions match the mag at 12.5x. It is indeed in the manual supplied and this is for the P4L-2, P4Lfein, the P3L, P4Fein are at 25x. Would like to know why there is no consistency even between the P4 group of reticles I am sure there must be a tech reason. Anyway thanks for all the input.