Midges

topgun

as a newcomer to stalking i,d like to ask all you experianced folk what you use to keep away the dreaded midges.

as a newcomer to stalking i,d like to ask all you experianced folk what you use to keep away the dreaded midges.
shotgun,blast the little burgers:rofl: or.. old mod mosquito replant(deet)now banned!! so i use midget hoods etc. clothing to keep them off etc!

Shoo you can get it from the Glasgow angling center

thought it was banned? is that the same stuff the mod used in the 70s/80s? if you put it on your forehead and the sweat ran into your eyes it burned like fook!! and was found to be a carsonagenic? if so ile have some of that!! the old stuff works best! just look at fly spray nowadays,spray it on the fly and it laughs at you!! may aswell hit it with the can:rofl: health and safety dont you just love it!!!!!

Just checked the Glasgow Angling Center they don't stock it any longer changed there stockist.

No different stuff, that stuff melted all your kit ,the Shoo is the dog gonads ,Ive got bottles in every jacket just not worth going out without it . theres always the old stuff, we used before all this stuff was available, oil of citranila you can get it from you local pharmacy , thats what is in the Avon wood land fresh skin so soft .

Last edited:
Ah the good old days...hey Widows Son, what was that stuff they issued us in Belize - the stuff that used to bring you out in big boils?

Made by a leading cosmetics company if i remember right, it never kept the mossy eating you either, just glad i never had nylon webbing then, it would have melted the kit big time ,it use to melt the eye pieces on the binos, no wonder ive had cancer twice with some of the crap that ive had to use .

Made by a leading cosmetics company if i remember right, it never kept the mossy eating you either, just glad i never had nylon webbing then, it would have melted the kit big time ,it use to melt the eye pieces on the binos, no wonder ive had cancer twice with some of the crap that ive had to use .
ah yes!!! tested on squadies!!! animal friendly!!:D

That's when i really started smoking. When i asked my father for advice after getting my orders for Belize, he just shook his head and later handed me a tupperware container full of cheap cigars. The only thing to keep the critters off.

Jesus...u remember the Fer de lence snakes? Locals call them Tommy Gofs - those buggers were nasty! We had one guy get bitten with one of them a then another guy was bitten when a jumping viper came in one night. Didn't matter how desperate you were for a ****, if you could do it from your hammock then u just held on.

Avon - Skin So Soft bath oil and a midge hood.
Apply the oil every couple of hours.
Or
Smoke a pipe!

Avon - Skin So Soft bath oil and a midge hood.
Apply the oil every couple of hours.
Or
Smoke a pipe!
don't know about the Avon,it may repel the midgets,but what about the stalking guide!!!scary thought!! smoking a pipe is OK though!!;)

If you and your guide want to stop for a bubble bath every couple of hours I see no harm in it!!!
The scary bit is coming across 2 blokes in in the woods, in the bath rubbing bath oil on each others while smoking pipes:lol:

If you and your guide want to stop for a bubble bath every couple of hours I see no harm in it!!!
The scary bit is coming across 2 blokes in in the woods, in the bath rubbing bath oil on each others while smoking pipes:lol:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I find the best method is to spread eagle them and tickle their nuts with a feather word gets round and the leave you alone:rofl:
Failing which if your not competent in the art of spread eagling get yoursen a midge net cos feck all else works:rofl:

I have a 100% effective method which ensures I NEVER, EVER get bitten by a Scottish midge during the summer months.

I stay in England until October. :cool:

You soft southerners wouldn`t know a proper midge if you saw one!! I had one fly past me today with a rat in its mouth.

Hummel

Back