DSC2: is it worth doing?

Leopoldo

Hey folks,

Tried posting this question earlier, but it didn't seem to appear so I hope I'm not re-posting the same thread....
I've just done DSC1 and already have a LANTRA deer management certificate under my belt, and I'm now seriously considering DSC2 as a follow-up.
Obviously if I want to add being able to train others as a string to my bow, it's essential, but my question is; what is the professional benefit of DSC2 as a deer manager in the private sector?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
For most recreational stalkers it is not a necessity. However, for yourself, it sounds like you wish to progress into the professional side of deer management and training and I would have thought it is therefore essential to give you credibility to train others? DSC 2 is the practical proof of the underpinning knowledge that you gained on DSC 1. It is almost like you have missed this step by already going on to do the Lantra Deer Managers Course which is akin to DSC 3?! You will need DSC 2 if you wish to progress to become an Approved Witness which is a definite advantage if you can offer DSC 2 training and witnessed stalks. You may well find, as I have, that you will also gain a huge amount more stalking (even paid stalking!) by having it. I also noticed recently that the top level of BASC stalking insurance requires DSC 2. It will certainly look good on any CV and may well give you the edge. I now have a large team of stalkers that assist me that have DSC 2 or are experienced DSC 1 and working towards DSC 2. Land owners and agencies respect the qualification and my life as a manager of deer managers becomes busier every day! It sounds like you already know it is the right direction for you to take. (PS my brother is an AW in Bristol!)
Good luck.
MS

I'm noticing on here more and more syndicates looking for DSC2. But my advice for the less experienced is get your DSC1, shoot deer for a year or so and gain some experience before going on for DSC2. Probably not relevant to you mind.
I have been mulling over going for the DSC2 myself now for a while, really must make a start.

For most recreational stalkers it is not a necessity. However, for yourself, it sounds like you wish to progress into the professional side of deer management and training and I would have thought it is therefore essential to give you credibility to train others? DSC 2 is the practical proof of the underpinning knowledge that you gained on DSC 1. It is almost like you have missed this step by already going on to do the Lantra Deer Managers Course which is akin to DSC 3?! You will need DSC 2 if you wish to progress to become an Approved Witness which is a definite advantage if you can offer DSC 2 training and witnessed stalks. You may well find, as I have, that you will also gain a huge amount more stalking (even paid stalking!) by having it. I also noticed recently that the top level of BASC stalking insurance requires DSC 2. It will certainly look good on any CV and may well give you the edge. I now have a large team of stalkers that assist me that have DSC 2 or are experienced DSC 1 and working towards DSC 2. Land owners and agencies respect the qualification and my life as a manager of deer managers becomes busier every day! It sounds like you already know it is the right direction for you to take. (PS my brother is an AW in Bristol!)
Good luck.
MS

Perfect answer. Thanks very much.

Organisations such as the Forestry Commission, Woodland Trust, Wildlife Trusts and National Trust now require you to have the DSC2 before issuing a License. However they do occasional allow someone as an 'Authorised Person' with just the DSC1 under the supervision of their Licensed (DSC2) Stalker. When applying/searching for more/better land, if you have the DCS2 on your shooting CV you gain a position of competitive advantage compared to other stalkers who do not have it.
I have met a few stubborn (generally older) stalkers who do 'not agree' with the DSC2, as they value their own long experience much higher ('I have shot 2,000+ deer, so I don't need the DSC2...') Sadly for them most landowners disagree, simply from a 'due diligence' point of view. They are sidelining themselves when land becomes available from the above mentioned organisations - and increasingly from private estate owners as well.

Its also good to have goals in life and things you want to achieve. I'm sure many people who achieve their DSC2 don't need it for professional reasons but simply because it was something they wanted to achieve. Its a great feeling when you achieve something like that

Its also good to have goals in life and things you want to achieve. I'm sure many people who achieve their DSC2 don't need it for professional reasons but simply because it was something they wanted to achieve. Its a great feeling when you achieve something like that

+1 to that.

Agree completely with this statement, and from a personal point of view it is the next logical step in my deer stalking career. If there is something available to me that will aid my chances in the future of gaining my own permissions then in my eyes there is no question on whether it is worth it or not.

Understandably there will be people out there that have been shooting long before the DSC 1 & 2 system was put in place but times are changing.

I have the DSC 2 and achieved it about three years ago now. It is worth doing and my view is that it is worth doing before such things become mandatory and they get a whole lot harder. In my experience there are AW's and AW's. Fortunately I worked with two very good ones and certainly came away very much more knowledgeable than before I started, although I did talk to a few.

And having the DSC 2 has allowed me to be part of a syndicate, and to stalk unaccompanied etc.

I competed my DSC 1 last October, although it took until this month to get the certificate and pin, I am not discouraged. I have been away from stalking for a few years, so I will be taking a wee bit of time getting in some stalking until I feel I have cleared off the rough edges and, then, I will go for it.

As stated earlier, it is the sense of accomplishment that I am looking for, as opposed to financial benefit. I know I will be with those who are either AW's of Level 2 holders who will help to guide me to my final goal.

To me it is well worth going for.

I am one of those recreational hunters that have no need of DSC1 never mind DSC2 I have about 2000 acres that I can shoot over if I want some venison for myself or friends. I have no pressure to achieve any cull figures whatsoever. I do not delude myself that I am a deer manager in any way.I can shoot Roe, muntjac, foxes, pigeon, pheasant, partridge, geese, duck, woodcock, snipe and control rats with my terriers on some of it.Good luck to those of you that want to do level 1 or 2 but it is not for me.

I am one of those recreational hunters that have no need of DSC1 never mind DSC2 I have about 2000 acres that I can shoot over if I want some venison for myself or friends. I have no pressure to achieve any cull figures whatsoever. I do not delude myself that I am a deer manager in any way.I can shoot Roe, muntjac, foxes, pigeon, pheasant, partridge, geese, duck, woodcock, snipe and control rats with my terriers on some of it.Good luck to those of you that want to do level 1 or 2 but it is not for me.

Just out if interest if you are not managing the deer on the 2000 acres is there some one else that is?

Don't be surprised then when the estate risk assessment or insurance policy requires some level of training or qualification and you are no longer allowed to stalk there for deer. A lot of people are currently waking up to this harsh reality, but there are still those like yourself that don't believe it can ever happen to them.
MS

An interesting approach. I take it you self insure as well? Regards JCS

All ways makes me smile when I see a post such as this. There still seems to be a good few people who stalk and have a similar attitude. Obviously its up to the individual as to whether or not they want to take Level 1 or 2. BUT as MS pointed out it will be a different matter when, and in my opinion its only a matter of WHEN they make it compulsory. It already is in a fashion with most constabularies requiring Level 1 to be taken before issuing certificates, especially to newbies.

However it is in my opinion the insurance companies that may well push this to the point where you will need it. There are LOTS of people taking folk out on their ground and making money out of it, on the side. I often wonder how many are commercially insured. Not as many as you would think probably?

Most people say I don't need it...............very true. My answer is NOT at the moment, but don't come crying when it is made compulsory. I can also see this being something in the future the EU (if we stay in) will bring up, as in most EU countries you need a pass a test before being let loose with a CF rifle. And Level one is recognised across the EU, so I can see them making this into another law in the future. We already have EU firearms passports.

ATB

Just out if interest if you are not managing the deer on the 2000 acres is there some one else that is?

This is not one farm this is made up of 11 farms spread out in Wilts and Somerset. The farmers when they start seeing a few too many may say come and thin them out.These farms range from 100 acres to about 400 acres and the deer can be on the land one day and next door the next so could not be managed anyway

Last edited:
I've had dsc2 for 10 years and no one has ever asked or commented on its existence.....the public landlords NT and FC etc tend to say they require it as a first hurdle, then when you confirm you have it, they tend to say the ground is not actually available/we are letting nature take its course!
So as a means to easily accessing stalking a fat chequebook is more reliable and such things as paperwork are waived for money, respect, local knowledge, friendship, who you know etc etc.

Back