Iceland Air

A Guy Out West

Ok, so I have a ticket to the UK, the plane stops in Iceland for 1 hour and then goes on to the UK. Do I need any kind of firearm permit for Iceland? The Iceland Air web site did not have the answer. I'm thinking no , but things have changed so much since I last flew internationally with a sporting firearm.
Thanks,
Michael

Hi tricky one this as each country has its own rules but from what you say it appears that the aircraft is only stopping of either for refuelling or to drop off/pickup passengers and therefor you luggage would not be leaving the aircraft so not haveing to pass thro' customs but to be sure it may be worth while checking with the icelandic authorities perhaps dropping an email to the embassy

contact the airline but highly unlikely

as far as you are concerned if you don't clear customs you have not actually been to Iceland!
I have used Iceland air into NS Canada

good airline if a little pricey now

Thanks guys, I did email their customs, waiting to hear back from them. They are spendy, but the travel time is about 1/2 of the rest.

There are a couple of Icelandic members on this site maybe a PM may get a result for you, do a search for Iceland.
Cheers Pete.

Make sure you take enough money for a sandwich. About $30 might buy one!!! I stopped there last time over to Canada. A bit of a snack for me and my wife cost £50 and I could have eaten it again and still have been hungry.

Make sure you take enough money for a sandwich. About $30 might buy one!!! I stopped there last time over to Canada. A bit of a snack for me and my wife cost £50 and I could have eaten it again and still have been hungry.

Maybe I should go there. Wouldn't be so fat then. Either that or I'd be seriously in debt!

Airports are split into two areas airside and landside. Airside is considered as international space but under the control of the host nation. When you get off of an international flight you do not "land" in the country until you pass through immigration and border control. This is why you can be sent straight back to your departure country if you don't have a valid visa or passport.
If your stopover does not involve passing through border control, you have not landed in that country and you are still in transit and under international law and not national law.

I am afraid that "in transit" is a status for air travellers agreed under international treaty. Unfortunately the USA, which is a signatory of this treaty, has decided that it is far to important to abide by it. The US does not apply transit facilities to transiting passengers so you have to get a visa and go through immigration even to get back on the same plane. Transiting in Reykjavik should be fine but just email the duty manager at the airport and take the email with you.

David.

Update on this, at most I would have to show my UK firearm permit. If checked through, it should not be an issue. By the time I figured all this out, the Iceland Air tickets were gone. Flying United to Manchester, just a few hours longer in travel time.

Back