country music radio station

IanLuc

Any one else found the new DAB station called Chris Country?
Playing modern country music big thumbs up from me!

I learned something new, didn't think that you had any country stations over there!

i would be curious to know what and who you consider modern country?

Would not want to contaminate my radio with it, mind you if it is on the new D2 system 'National coverage'* will only be around 50% of the UK - oh, they called that 'progress', basterds.

*The new 'national' means if you live in manchester birmingham london.

Are all the songs not the same?
Hillbilly meets woman.
Falls in love with woman.
Woman leaves.
Hillbilly consoles with his dog.
Hillbilly runs over dog with pick-em up truck.

Repeat.
:stir:

I am curious if you can pick up, on the Internet radio, Spotify, or Sirius / XM, any of the older traditional country music, and especially the traditional as it is still performed by regional musicians and on small local stations in the mountains of Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky.

I stopped at a store in the NC mountains a few months ago, and the clerk was a middle-aged lady from Canada, but I could tell it was originally Ireland. She quickly revealed that she had come there on vacation and decided to stay, was a musician, and was enthralled with all the old folk music and instruments.

A smattering of old and new traditional, from Marion, Virginia, and Bristol (VA and TN).
with some of the early radio from Charlotte, Greenville, Asheville, Knoxville, thrown in...
Recorded in Charlotte | History South

Songs of the mountains - Francis Marion Hotel, Mast Farm
Song of The Mountains • The Mast Farm Inn, Historic Country Inn : The Mast Farm Inn

On Spotify it would be possible to get a lot of Country music compilation albums or artist, but whether is it the correct stuff of Southern stuff a lot of people here in the UK would not be sure.
Willie Nelson and Merle Haggart were the first 2 artist names that popped up on a quick visit to Spotify just now.
I take it Steve n Seagulls doesnt count. Thunderstruck by SteveSeagulls (LIVE) - YouTube

Do they play both types of music? Country aaaand western. :D
Good point. There is a distinction, especially as you go further back to the ballad traditions of "campfire music", then up to Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and even to Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and other Texans. By the time Willie came along, and had songs like "Crazy" and "Hello Walls" in his hip pocket, he had to go to Nashville to hit the big stage.

But Western music extends up into the ranching areas of Canada. Gordon Lightfoot, a classical conductor, got really into the ballads in the late 1960s and all that folk music of the West Coast.

When I was young, and into camping, fishing, and music, I loved going to the week long Union Grove Fiddler's Convention. I could only stay for the weekend. About 20,000 bluegrass lovers there then, before the hippies discovered it and the farm owner stopped it. Great album recorded live there: Will the Circle Be Unbroken.

Two deaf lads came into our local pub , one sat , other came up to bar to order drinks .... Over in corner a band were setting up to play , & the lad asked who was playing ( could lip read)

Barmaid said " oh it's country & western"

Paid for drinks sat down and his mate signed to him asking what was the band

" she said its some *unt from Preston

😂
Sorry
Paul

Try the TuneIn Radio app and do a station search under 'Country' or 'C&W' and see how many obscure outfits from the back of beyond you can listen to. :D

For me it's Dixie Chicks, Travis Trit, Alan Jackson, original (early) Garth Brooks, don't mind a bit of Chris Ledoux
along with Reba, The Judds etc.

For all the time we had cable TV over here we had CMTV, all I ever listened to at home for about 5 years, been
gone for nearly 20 years now and still miss it.

Neil. :)

Try the TuneIn Radio app and do a station search under 'Country' or 'C&W' and see how many obscure outfits from the back of beyond you can listen to. :D

On last year's holiday to Orlando the rental car radio was stuck on K92.3 Orlando Country. Became the soundtrack to our holiday with particular family favourites being 'Sangria' by Blake Shelton, 'Wild Child' by Kenny Chesney and the brilliantly ridiculous 'Buy Me a Boat' by Chris Janson. Ideal tunes for cruising along the interstate in our Dodge SUV! On occasion the kids still ask to listen to the station on TuneIn.

Back