I don't know what to do with myself!

Cony

So folks I've still got one front leg, one rear leg, neck, saddles and fillet from a Roe I shot before Christams. Cooked one leg in slow cooker but to be honest the rich smell put me off a bit. I told the Mrs and kids it was Lamb and they ate it.

First question ion is how long will it keep in the freezer.

Second question is has anyone got any good recipes?

One side of me of me is thinking of mincing the lot into burgers!

It should last at least a year in the freezer if its a proper deep freeze. Nothing wrong with turning leg shoulder and neck into burgers but don't do the saddle, salt pepper and fry in butter only medium at most then rest for a min. Loads of burger recipes but about 20-30% added fat by weight, bacon or fatty pork are safe bets then what ever you want salt at about 2% herbs at about 3% start low and work up frying a little and adjusting I don't add eggs but you could
Good luck Jake

I once found a haunch in the freezer, don't know how it had got missed but it was three years old, I thawed it out in the fridge, it looked OK, smelled OK. It was roasted, and tasted lovely. You'll know by smelling it if it's good or not. Eat it however you enjoy it but seems a shame to turn saddle and fillet into burgers.

Yes I found a haunch lurking during a long awaited defrost.

Wasn't going to waste it, even if it was 3 years old and a bit frost burnt.

Firstly you deserve stringing up for passing off lovely lean tender venison as greasy chewy lamb! :lol:
Venison mince will replace beef in any bog standard recipe. My favourite is chilli, the meat has so much more flavour to add.
Diced and slow cooked as a casserole or stew I really like, totally idiot proof recipe, chuck it in the slow cooker with whatever veg you have, optional port/beer/chestnuts/redcurrant/cranberries and leave it all day!
Cut smallish steaks from the loin and haunch to either pan fry in butter with mushrooms and garlic, or wrap in quality streaky bacon and roast.

Thanks but the 1st pic reminded me of the munty I shot last night as it was a bit far back iykwim!! :doh:

The finished article looks scrummy though!! I'm gonna try it this weekend I reckon as I've got 2 in the chiller and am out again tnite and on a roll!!!

Put shoulder on the bone in tagine or casserole with onion, red pepper, dried fruit, good dollop of harissa paste (or improvise with chillis cumin, coriander garlic) add honey and dash of lemon juice, cover with water and cook 2hrs until meat falling off bone. Serve with cous cous and fresh coriander.
I just throw it all in, never measure ingredients its turned out delicious each time. Nice alternative to the usual stewed venison.

Back