Polish Trail Cam

greenhillstairs

08080129.jpg08070098.jpg08070092.jpg08070083.jpg08070071.jpg

Hi; Just a few shots from my trail Cam. Nothing spectacular, I was just recently staying for a few days in a Friends small wooden "Hunting" lodge up in greater Poland, I set the camera up one evening in a bit of a clearing some 30 mtrs away to the side. Primarily hoping to capture wild boar we knew had visited there recently. Fair to say myself and my Polish hosts were quite surprized to see the Fallow deer. Of course they are well aware they reside in the adjacent forest, but rarely come across them, likewise myself. I had seen scores of Roe deer even a few Red stags on my forays, but only once seen Fallow and that was a separate forest completely. The pics taken only some 30 metres from the "Wee" lodge of which upto nightfall there is quite frequent human activity be it chopping or gathering wood for the fire, few beers on the bench outside etc. The general consensus these Fallow may now be virtually "Nocturnal" or certainly so for the best part of the year. The first pic shows a lone fallow but he is soon joined by about another half dozen including two bucks whom on one of these pics and on others are seen continually squabbling with brief lock of horns, I can only imagine over the food source. Why they not seen more frequently at dusk or dawn or indeed out on the pasture as per other deer? Could be they are not that highly regarded by the local Hunting fraternity, apparently they have been known to "Scare" off the much larger "Jelen" or Red deer including the Stags. I'm not sure by that they actually get into any combat so to speak, I think possibly by there mere presence. Might it be they are now more nocturnal simply out of of survival instinct. Might there be some Parrallels here with our own Sika deer habits in numerous parts of the UK ? As to what they are feeding on, I'm no expert and my Polish translation is not great to say the least, but the area was strewn with what I can only described as something looking like "Dead" Japanese knotweed but of which is grown from a bulb. It would appear that both Deer and Wild boar were here "Rooting" out the bulb. Incidentally I also had pics of both Hare and Fox on the same clearing on the same night. I will post some more Pics of Wildboar etc in due course. My web cam is still out there in Poland :)

Last edited:
trophy stag.jpg My Old Polish friends trophy Stag, taken last Autumn. He was allowed to select and "Hunt" due to his long service record for his beloved Hunting Club. A truly magnificent beast !

Back