Rounds won't chamber

Kudu101

Hello,

I hope you can help, i checked to see if my resized (full length) .243 brass would fit my rifle and it won't chamber. It seems to stop about 1/3 - 1/2 an inch short. I made sure that the die is properly set up and the whole cartridge enters the die but it still jams in the chamber.

I did the marker pen test and it seems like the shoulder of the brass is making contact.

Could my second hand die be worn out to the point that it is not resizing correctly even when the cartridge fully enters it?

Any other suggestions as to whats going on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is it possible that your sizing die is for something exotic in 243 like a 243 AI (Ackley Improved)?

Is the expander in the die the wrong size, causing the neck to be too big?

How do you know that the die is adjusted correctly?

Im not sure about the expander but il try resizing a cartridge without and see if it chambers.

Well as far as I'm aware its adjusted correctly. The die is screwed in until its touching the case holder at its highest point and then screwed in another 1/2 turn. I also tried a full turn more with no difference. Does this sound like the correct way?

Thanks

What brass are you using, I had the same problem with privy partisan, once fired from the same rifle.
Any other make no problem, just privis, so I binned them and never used them since.

The correct way to set up F/L sizing die is to screw it down until it touches the top of the shell holder AND NO MORE !!
All this extra 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 a turn extra achieves absolutely nothing apart from stressing your press.
However, i dont think this has any relevance to your problem
One more thing do you mean that the bolts forward travel is stopped short or the bolt handle handle only closes part of the way

TB.

Ok thanks whitebeard. The bolt is stopped short and when i put my finger in i could feel the cartridge protruding about 1/3 - 1/2 inch from the mouth of the barrel.

Thanks

If you look at my last post on case head seperation it seems like it is stopping near to the shiny marks near the case head (see photo)

Thanks

What make of die?

Do you have anyone close that can have a look at both your rounds and dies? Preferably someone with a .243.

The South West referred to on your header is a relatively large area...But there will be a reloading SD member somewhere not too far away.

Dauntsey Guns have a reloading facility. They do reloading courses, and there will be others nearer to you probably.

Alan

Kudu - I'm in the SW near Wellington if that is any help and I reload for two people in 243 using Redding dies

1. Your once fired brass should be easy to chamber - check this.
2. The die body cannot expand the case to cause the problems you're experiencing
3. It must be something to do with the expanding of the neck that causes these problems
4. I assume that it's just the sized case that you're trying to chamber, with no bullet seated?

What make of die?

Do you have anyone close that can have a look at both your rounds and dies? Preferably someone with a .243.

The South West referred to on your header is a relatively large area...But there will be a reloading SD member somewhere not too far away.

Dauntsey Guns have a reloading facility. They do reloading courses, and there will be others nearer to you probably.

Alan

Hi Alan, Its a lee die. I do know of someone but they are unavailable at the moment. Im just outside of bath so daunsey isnt far but iv pestered them a fair bit recently and cant spend any more money on reloading (course) this month .

Thanks

Back