Another bino thread.

buy the swaros you won't regret it !esp at dawn and dusk

not many manufacturers replace parts like eye cups ob covers straps ect for foc like swaro

Last edited:
They are probably perfectly good binos, the lower and mid range binos have come on a long way in the last few years however, if you buy them for £345 ten minutes after you open the box they will be worth £50. Buy secondhand Swarovskis for £500-£600 and ten years later they will be worth £500-£600!

Also look at secondhand Leica, Leitz and older Zeiss. If you really want new but can't stretch to the top end then look at Opticron. I hear good things about Minox too but I have no personal experience.

Birding shops like Cley Spy and In Focus are generally a much better bet than shooting shops. Most have a good range of secondhand binos, often much more than they list on their websites so worth a phone call.

Looking for a good pair. Spotted these

Hawke Sapphire ED Open Hinge 8x43 Hunting Binoculars - Optics Warehouse

been looking at at second hand ones for slightly more. But after buying a new Hawke frontier scope I was well impressed with the glass I am temped on these.
Anyone got these?
i spotted a pair of Swarovski in the for sale section. Again tempted. But I do like the idea of new.
If you like the idea of new why not look at Zeiss HD 8x42. I have a pair and to be honest comparing them to my mates Swarvo 7x42 I see no difference.

I have enquired over the ones in the sales page. The ones that are for sale are a 7-42 B. What's the B? It seem to refer to an old model?

Would you you opt for the 42 over the 30mm Objective lens? Is 10x a little big? I have not yet progressed onto Deer Stalking yet but that's my aim.

[h=2][/h]

I see the Swarovski fanatics are out in force again - OK, they are probably the best of the best but not everyone can afford them and there are warranty advantages to buying something new (and some of us just want "new").

I recently bough a new set of Vortex Vipers - £380 with a lifetime, no quibble warranty. Last light performance is so close to any Swarovskis I have used that it is no more that a couple of minutes at worst.

As a compromise between the best and spending a lot (Swar.) , and getting reasonable value, the following may be worth looking at:
Meopta Meostar
Steiner Predator
Vanguard Endeavor HD

More homework needed. I am down near Exeter next week so I will take a visit to the sportsman centre to handle a few. I really do like the Swarovski but can I justify the spend. Need to think.

As Eric points out Steiner are very good.
I have a pair that have been up against zeiss and swaros and there's very little difference between them with one person preferring the contrast given by the steiners as better than that offered by the zeiss.

in edit....I have both zeiss 10x40bt conquests and Steiner ranger pro 10x42and prefer the Steiner.

Last edited:
I payed around that money for mint used Zeiss, I could sell them tomorrow for the same. Be patient, watch eBay, the classifieds and dealers like London camera exchange website, you can get top notch kit for sensible money.

I payed around that money for mint used Zeiss, I could sell them tomorrow for the same. Be patient, watch eBay, the classifieds and dealers like London camera exchange website, you can get top notch kit for sensible money.
+1. I bought my binoculars 5 years ago. I went to the London Camera Exchange on the Strand to look at a pair of Steiners. It was dusk and I looked across the street using the Steiners. They also had a secondhand pair of Zeiss Victory 10 by 42 binoculars. Tried them and couldn't believe the difference, nor could the girl behind the counter. Buy quality, cry once.
CH

I had a look through a pair of Bushells at the weekend - 7 or 8 x42 (or thereabouts) and was very impressed - sharp bright image. They seem to be very popular in the US and for good reason.

I know these are not in the same league as the swan, blue or red emblemed super Binos but I have recently bought a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x50's while I was lucky enough to be in the states. Fantastic for the money at approx £120. Great to look through and a no quibble lifetime guarantee. I am made up!

Ok. A mint pair of
[h=2]ZEISS CONQUEST 8x42 BINOCULARS[/h]have come up. £400 posted is the best deal I can get on them.
Thoughts on these please? Very difficult when you can only go on YouTube and forum reviews and help. I'm in no rush as I planned on doing my comparisons next week at the sportsmans centre.
I wouldn't want to miss a good deal on these if they worth grabbing.

One drawback I can find is as follows.
Anyone have these to see if this is a deal breaker or a small problem which isn't worth the mither.

The drawbacks:
1. The eyepiece caps are difficult to remove and to replace. They don't slide on and off easily.
2. The end caps are worthless. The only time they stay on is when the binoculars are in the case. Consequently, they provide no protection while walking through the woods or while handling in any fashion.
3. The eye relief is designed for those who wear eyeglasses. Others (like myself) will have to learn to rest them against the top of the eye socket and position your head as if you are looking upward through them. Until one gets accustomed to it, this makes for some discomfort when scanning for longer periods.

I stared off with a ok size budget. Or so I thought. The more I researched the more I came to the conclusion that it wasn't big enough. I have just sold a rifle and have the extra cash for the right set.

Due to to being cautious and trying to get the new buyer to stretch I have missed out on a few for sale.
Thanks to the guys who have sent me pictures and helped with questions I have asked.
These will be the second biggest purchase in my hunting armoury. I am nearly there with my decision on which to get.
Thanks.

Great links. They can sometimes throw a spanner in the works.
I have sold a couple of rifles and now had a change of scopes etc. Happy with my set ups. I will be in the market for a .243 but at the mo the the sale of the last gun was going to fund a decent set of bins. I didn't plan on using the the home amount be its there.
I coukd spend up to £850. That's my max really.
I was on the fence with mag to go for. 10x and the newest I can get my hands on.
Leica and Swarovski are the main contenders. I can't see me being in the position again to buy a really good set of binoculars. I need the choice to be right.

Back