BRB - Sika hunting in NZ

Siggy

Hi,

BackRidge Butcher posts some great Sika hunting videos, this last one is I think one of his best...

Siggy

Odd looking Sika........although their brow tines are pointing upwards, which is typical Sika the rest of the head looks very much like Red deer. In fact the body colour, size and facial features look very much like a hybrid Red x Sika. There call is also not like a Jap Sika, which tends to be more shriller at times.

Odd looking Sika........although their brow tines are pointing upwards, which is typical Sika the rest of the head looks very much like Red deer. In fact the body colour, size and facial features look very much like a hybrid Red x Sika. There call is also not like a Jap Sika, which tends to be more shriller at times.

Interesting observation - I did think the face looked like a red...no Sika frown...but I see very few Sika and haven't shot any, so can't really comment.

I have shot a lot of Sika over many years in Scotland and also Dorset, plus a great many Reds in Scotland. I have also shot with clients 2 first year cross hybrid Sika x Red in Scotland, albeit a few years ago.

I am not familier with the Sika population in New Zealand and they may have different species, Manchurian or Formosan, either way the beasts in the video look very much like hybrids to me.

most of them seem to look red x to me on the many NZ forum photos that have been posted over the years.
Big long donkey faces eh!

paint drying syndrome until around the 17th min,thank god for fast forward!

Didn't like the shot right over the top of the terrier either,moderator or not.

I will start a new thread on some Aussie sika.

Last edited:
most of them seem to look red x to me on the many NZ forum photos that have been posted over the years.Big long donkey faces eh!paint drying syndrome until around the 17th min,thank god for fast forward!Didn't like the shot right over the top of the terrier either,moderator or not.I will start a new thread on some Aussie sika.
Dog was was having a field day on the half butchered carcass ?..... Wouldn't happen over here,still a a good hunt, makes me want to get out more,bank holiday , I'm in for my first stalk of the season after roe Bucks , yippee here I come,kjf

Last edited:
The original Sika introductions were from Woburn stock around 1905 and adapted well to the conditions. Sika are now reported to be the second most numerous deer species in NZ though fallow seem to be increasing too. There has probably been a lot of hybridisation with reds although there are still a number of pure Sika populations. Last year during the roar I shot a typical pure six pointer on the east coast of the north island and my son-in-law took an exceptional even eight pointer which has been confirmed as a pure Sika. These deer sounded the same as the Sika that I have heard in the UK and they also exhibit similar traits of being very wary and cunning.

I agree, looked like a cross and sounded like a cross. I have never heard a hybrid stag whistle/roar so interesting that there call is half way in between, makes sense I suppose.

Back