Terminology... Sub Maxillary VS. Sub Mandibular

flyingfisherman

Having a discussion with a vet the other day and they pulled me up when discussing the Sub Maxillaries.. They asked me if i meant the Retropharyngeal.. I said no, we discussed their locations and then i was told that the Sub Maxillary (as we know them) are actually Sub Mandibular when referring to deer/bovine/equine type animals?

Any takers?

Submandibular is the correct term. I have pointed this out to people including AWs for years. A well known person in the stalking field refers to the clavicle when sticking a knife in between the first ribs towards the heart to facilitate bleeding and actually teaches this on his DVD.Only primates have clavicles and cats have a rudimentary remnant one as vet students find to their cost when looking at X-rays under exam conditions.

I'd say they are both right, they both mean jawbone and sub meaning below (as in submarine) - one is probably derived from the Latin (max) and the Mandible (google says) late middle English. I seem to remember in my studies (over 25 years ago) both were used in the text books.

For positioning (Retropharyngeal) I felt it helps to remember Retro means behind (as in 'Retro' flared trousers) and thus behind the pharanx.

I didn't get beyond A-Level Biology mind so a vet might put me right on here!

Submandibular is the correct term. I have pointed this out to people including AWs for years. A well known person in the stalking field refers to the clavicle when sticking a knife in between the first ribs towards the heart to facilitate bleeding and actually teaches this on his DVD.Only primates have clavicles and cats have a rudimentary remnant one as vet students find to their cost when looking at X-rays under exam conditions.

Thanks for that - I find sub-maxillary very hard to relate to, whereas sub-mandibular is clear as day. But then a degree in zoology probably means I'm just a bit thick!

Sorry but during anatomy lectures all students are taught submandibular.The top jaw is the maxilla.Thank god we only had to listen to our lecturers.Incidently the submandibular glands are the ones that swell in mumps infections

yep i think the term submaxillary is a load of rubbish unless someone can prove me wrong
it means under the maxilla which is the palate and their aint no lymph nodes there

Sorry but during anatomy lectures all students are taught submandibular.The top jaw is the maxilla.Thank god we only had to listen to our lecturers.Incidently the submandibular glands are the ones that swell in mumps infections

I stand corrected sorry, my memory didn't serve me well.

Well we are not training to be Vets or Zoologists,
suffice to know if we skin away the lower jaw
bone we should locate two neat glands (hopefully)
underneath (sub) the jaw bone( mandible)

If you read into the etymological background then interestingly early anatomists called both jaws the maxilla - superior maxilla for the upper and inferior maxilla for the lower.

It was only later on that maxilla was reserved for the upper jawbone and mandible for the lower jawbone.

A good friend of mine is a maxillofacial surgeon, and he repairs both jaws and a whole lot else besides!

For those interested:

Mandibular etymologies : Article : British Dental Journal

Maxillary etymologies : Article : British Dental Journal

Last edited:
If you read into the etymological background then interestingly early anatomists called both jaws the maxilla - superior maxilla for the upper and inferior maxilla for the lower.

It was only later on that maxilla was reserved for the upper jawbone and mandible for the lower jawbone.

A good friend of mine is a maxillofacial surgeon, and he repairs both jaws and a whole lot else besides!

For those interested:

Mandibular etymologies : Article : British Dental Journal

Maxillary etymologies : Article : British Dental Journal

I am quite old!

.Incidently the submandibular glands are the ones that swell in mumps infections

Submandibular is the correct anatomical description

and its the parotids that swell in mumps....(less so the sub mandibular or sub lingual)....:coat:

Back