Tikka T3 Varmint .308 20inch Successful Game Loads?

Toxster

Anyone able to advise on a suggested starting point for working up loads for a T3 Varmint in .308 with a 20 inch barrel?

It's a fairly common rifle, so rather than plough through the tables I wonder if the experts here have some real world loads that group nicely with expanders? Range will be mainly 100m with a max of 200m (maybe 300m at the range).

I'm also undergoing a massive simplification regime, so if I can have one std load that works on paper and on Bambi, that'd be great. Simplicity seems to imply a 150/155gr head...

Thanks.

Have been doing a bit of reading on this myself so will follow the thread with interest.
The impression I get is that people prefer a heavier bullet. 165/180. 155 is great in mine in targets though.

44 to 46g of N140 is commonly very successful with a 150g bullet. The nosler BT is often accurate if a little messy at times on deer

One often mentioned on the net was 168 a-max with up to 44 n140 or varget etc. A good friend of mine uses it for long range goats in Mallorca and swears by it. The 168 is a bit tougher than the 155.
edi

44gr N140 under 155gr Sierra work well for me and gives excellent results (.4moa at 100yds).

Last edited:
It took all my will power to not make my usual crack about pulling out the "Tikka Loading Manual" as if there is a special load that shoots best from a Tikka. All 308 is usually accurate and if loaded with a good bullet, effective on game. I shoot a T-3 Lite 308 and I've come to love 165 Game kings over IMR 4064. Outstanding consistency and accuracy. The same load with a 168 Match King shoots well in my Ruger Precision as well. It's one of those nearly 'universal' loads for 308.~Muir

It took all my will power to not make my usual crack about pulling out the "Tikka Loading Manual" as if there is a special load that shoots best from a Tikka. All 308 is usually accurate and if loaded with a good bullet, effective on game. I shoot a T-3 Lite 308 and I've come to love 165 Game kings over IMR 4064. Outstanding consistency and accuracy. The same load with a 168 Match King shoots well in my Ruger Precision as well. It's one of those nearly 'universal' loads for 308.~Muir

I'm liking the sound of a universal load and it does sound like I might have to adjust my bullet weight expectations upwards to get SGK to work. To be fair I have some Geco 170 Gr that group as well as any other150/155. I was just wondering whether 165 might be a bit heavy on Roe. If not, then I may get a batch of SGK 168 and see how the groups work out. NB I do have a range that allows S5 ammo.

44gr N140, 168gr Amax very accurate at 100, MV was 2500'ish out of a 24" std Tikka M595 1-11 barrel, didn't try it out of my 20" 1-10 Bergara barrel but imagine it would be a bitty less.
155gr Amax with 44gr N140 came in around 2650'ish with same good accuracy.
H380 with 155gr Amax giving very good accuracy through 20" 1-10 barrel and MV around 2750 (sorry, don't have powder weight to hand).
45.7gr H380 behind 168 Amax also good.
Roe generally falling over on the spot with minimal meat damage.

I'm liking the sound of a universal load and it does sound like I might have to adjust my bullet weight expectations upwards to get SGK to work. To be fair I have some Geco 170 Gr that group as well as any other150/155. I was just wondering whether 165 might be a bit heavy on Roe. If not, then I may get a batch of SGK 168 and see how the groups work out. NB I do have a range that allows S5 ammo.
I'm looking through my notes. I am using, this 'universal' load in my Tikka, my Ruger, two Savage long Rang Hunters, a Winchester Model 70 and a Howa. All sub-MOA. The US Government, with a slight reduction in charge from what I use, specifies 4064 for it's "Cartridge, Special Ball Long Range Rifle" 308 round using the 175 grain Match King. It's a pretty well balanced powder for 308 and here, at least, plentiful.~Muir

Lovely, I'll write up these into my notebook and see what to get at the next shopping trip.....

Thanks all.

I have the same gun, Varmint with 20" barrel. My load is 150gr Hornady SST. 46gr Varget, Lapua brass, Fed M primer, @2770"OAL. 2730 FPS. StdDev 11 FPS. Very accurate, Bullet on bullet.
150gr Sierra Gameking is good too, exactly same load as above, OAL is 2725 or 2750 cant just remember and 10FPS faster and StdDev 7 FPS. Wide range of charges of varget all shot nearly same. And POA near same as SST.

I tried Hornady 150 Interlocks and it just didn't like them. Tried different powders, charges , primers ect.. None shot well compared to others.

Target bullets, 178 AMAX 44gr Varget, Lapua brass, Fed M primer @2806 OAL and 2556FPS. StdDev 5 FPS. Sub quarter inch consistently all day.
175 SMK 42gr Varget, " " " @2800 OAL i think?. 2423FPS. StdDev 10 FPS. Hovers around quarter inch. You get a big jump in FPS by going up half a grain to 2542FPS but group grows to little over half inch, Go to 43gr and jump up again to 2620FPS and group shrinks to .36" inch. And Back up to half inch @44gr Varget at 2653FPS which i dont think is bad speed wise for a little 20 inch barrel.

Anyway hope this helps. Gavin

I have the Tikka T3 stainless / synthetic 20" barrel with Wildcat Evolution mod.
I'm using:
Federal brass
Federal GM210M primers
44 grains N140
150 grain Sierra Spitzers - game
155 grain Sierra Match King - target
I'm very happy with this & wont be changing until 1 or more component becomes unavailable or gets banned (eg lead for game)
ILB

Last edited:
168 amax
45grains of varget
lapua case
benchrest primer (cci or federal worked well for me)

2650 fps from my 20" 308 , this is my go to load and it duplicates the hornady factory TAP ammo , basically if your 308 won't group with this there is something wrong with the rifle !

Here's the results of two three shot groups from the weekend. The lower right group was the sighting in group after a few barrel fouling shots. The centre group was the final three shots adjusted to zero. Squares are 1 inch. Group measured approx 0.35 inches. That was shot at 100yds with SMK 155s loaded with 44 grains N140 shot from a T3 varmint in .308 shot off a bipod. Can't ask better than that.

20160426_084935.jpg

Back