6.5 X 47 Projectile & Powder

Reiver Boy

I have just started playing around with my 6.5 using Nos 120g BT over 41.5 RS60 getting around 2900 (22" 8.5 twist) however RS60/RL17 seams to be very very dirty leaving what can only be described as coal mine on the crown after only a few shots. I am looking to switch to another (Cleaner) powder and possibly to 140 A max as long as the 8.5 will stabilise it.

My Question

Is any one else running 140 Amax out an 8.5, if so what powder and velocity ?

Alternatively is any one else achieving similar velocities from similar length barrel with a cleaner power with Nosler 120 BT's if so what powder are you using ?

I shoot a 6.5-284 with a 8.5 twist. It shoots the 140 amax really well. Without having 1st hand experience of the 6.5x47L I would think the 140 amax might just be a bit heavy for the case. I would think the 123 amax might be more suited to this case

I use R15 with 140gn Sierra Game kings even with the MOD on its not dirty or not excessively so

I also use Nos BT with r15 ,I also get a dirty crown as I have a 11 deg target crown and as the mod has not a 11 deg cone (snug fit ) the blacking is slight and not a lot more than I used to get without a mod ,I expect the gap is that reason why a gas vortex type thing lol ? I also use n140 and 123 amax all give me blacking on the crown with no ill effect down range , I just remove it with a wipe round with a rag with carbon carb spray when I clean .

+1 on RL15, I'm using 41.5 grains behind a 120. Extremely accurate
Are you sure 41.5 seems a fair load of RE15 my mate gets pressure signs at 38g charge.
I don't use bullets any bigger than 130g vld but my use 95% of the time is 123g bullets with either H4350 or N150.

I have tried rl15 , rl17, N550, n150, n140, varget, h4350.
I found rl17 and N550 like a coal mine, making a mess of the muzzle. It didn't affect accuracy. A few shot with these powders really got the barrel and mod hot!
I really like what varget does - barrel and mod stone cold, clean muzzle and shoots light and heavyweight bullets no problems.
This will be my final powder choice.
It appears that there are MANY different reamer specs out there for this cartridge, so each rifle can be miles apart in terms of loads

+1 on the heat, I had not considered that it would alter with different powders, three shots and its almost to hot to remove with bare hands. Thank you all for the info nation, I think RL15 and Varget will be next on the trials list.

It appears that there are MANY different reamer specs out there for this cartridge, so each rifle can be miles apart in terms of loads

Absolutely right! As it's a very strong case and doesn't show excess pressures clearly, there are also some out there who are loading it up way past what Lapua ever intended or where it should ever go. So, two very good reasons for being very careful with others' loads.

N550 and Re17 (Nitrochemie Reload Swiss RS60) are 'high-energy' powders with significant amounts of infused nitroglycerin in the base nitrocellulose. They have considerably higher flame temperatures than most single-based powders. Just touching the barrel after a string of shots shows the difference between the types. Re17 is one hell of a generator of MVs, but often doesn't match its performance here with small groups. It is also a notorious barrel-killer if the available performance is used fully.

38g Varget under a 120g projectile will see 2900 fps and should elicit accuracy - or around that.

I get one hole (true one hole) grouping with my 6.5 x 47 with this load using both target and deer legal bullets.

Back