Caught in the hedgerow

willie_gunn

On the way down the normal track this morning, turned the corner and caught these three roe out snacking on the hedgerow for breakfast:

_DJR3699_zpsiilw8wh8.jpg

Can just see the summer coat starting to come through around the extremities.

The dogs clearly spooked them so they ran back across the field, doing the normal roe thing of stopping 50 yards away:

_DJR3705_zpscsr63rm8.jpg

Having decided I was less of a threat than I first appeared they then happily continued browsing, though keeping one eye on me just in case:

_DJR3751_zps1btlr64m.jpg

_DJR3726_zpsixyqdpbs.jpg

_DJR3772_zpsjblbpbkk.jpg

Last edited:
Dom, you are rapidly becoming the SD official photo journalist, another cracking set.

John

Dom,
We'll be expecting some more quality photos later in the year then.

They keep a number of these fields for hay meadows. Give it another few weeks and the roe will almost disappear in them. The by-product is a fantastic population of butterflies and other insects.

Dom, what sort of lens would you be using , how far away was you?

I have a 300mm lens with a 1.4x teleconverter, so 420mm in total.

When the group of three were by the hedgerow I would think they were between 50 and 75 yards away. The ones of the doe on her own were probably taken at somewhere between 100 and 125 yards. The biggest single influencer on the quality of the image is light. If the light is good then even at those distances a good quality lens will capture the detail you need. This was taken back in February at about the same distance, and you can clearly see the difference in final quality:

NKN_7203_Buck_and_Doe_zpsp5mhu45a.jpg

Cheers thanks for the info, top photos, I can see why you get pleasure out of photographing these deer. Not allways about shooting them.

Cheers thanks for the info, top photos, I can see why you get pleasure out of photographing these deer. Not allways about shooting them.

Thank you.

I don't have the stalking rights where I'm taking all the photos, but I still just enjoy getting out and studying deer. Taking photos has all the skill and excitement of stalking but without any of the need to shoot something.....or to extract and larder it afterwards :D

Back