Ranger or Isuzu

Munty1

The time is coming for me to buy myself a new 4x4, I have two in mind a Ford Ranger or a Isuzu DMax, any advice is welcome?

My mate picked up his new Ranger a couple of weeks back and its pretty impressive.

Ive had a Landrover, L200 and a Ranger and id be sticking with the Ranger.

Malcs Isuzu did however pull me out of a ditch once and have to say your choice of two is spot on.

The time is coming for me to buy myself a new 4x4, I have two in mind a Ford Ranger or a Isuzu DMax, any advice is welcome?

I'm in exactly the same position myself except I would consider a Toyota or even a new model L200 (better mpg etc. so cheaper to run long term for me which is a plus).

I've found that the biggest problem is that it is almost impossible to make a logical decision between them as they are all closely matched. The Ranger came out tops in my considerations as it does almost everything well but there aren't many about and any decent ones that come up in my area are sold almost immediately and I'd rather deal in a market where I wasn't always stuck paying top money on the basis that any car I look at will sell in 2 days whether I buy it or not.

So, the only advice I can give you is that it's a tricky one!! Not very helpful :) I might just keep my X-Trail and run it until it stops.

I have just got a 16 plate Ranger, 2.2. It ain't very good on fuel, 21mpg. My old 58 plate ranger did almost 30 mpg doing the same work as the new one is doing now. The 4wd system is better in the new ranger, you can select 4wd high on the move. Less room in the new ranger too. Never driven an Isuzu but have been a passenger. Nice trucks

Isuzu everytime. I have had 3 now, run the last 2 up to 90,000 miles and apart from a set of shackle bushes, tyres that's all I spent on them. The one I have now is the last of the old shape on a 12 plate, with the 3litre lump LE.

Cant fault them. The last one pulled Terry's Ford Ranger out of a ditch, with only 3 wheels on the Ranger on the floor, like a wine cork out of a bottle. Simples.

When I have run this one up, I will be getting another.

ISUZU had the DENVER for 8 years before buying the DMax in January last year cannot fault them

I have a 15 Plate Ranger 2.2 Limited, spot on. 27mpg now and getting better. It is a bigger truck all round and much more room inside than either my old 10 plate or 52 plate.
Same spec inside as any other ford as it is not a Mazda now. Heated front screen, aircon etc.
If you compare the specs side by side the the Ranger is better than the others generally.
I looked at an Isuzu Blade but the spec was lower and the price higher.
In the end it is down to which one suits you and your needs better.

VW Amarok.
on my 2nd one, and by far the more civilized of all the pick ups on offer (although fair bit more expensive than some).

My two penny worth, cant go far wrong with Toyota! heard a few rumours likewise of the poor fuel return on the Ranger, but I personally cannot verify one way or the other.Not had much experience with the D-Max. Now please don't shoot the messenger!!!:rolleyes: but there are currently one or two really decent deals available out there on well serviced ex-utility Defender 130 crew cab Pick ups. When Landrover announced a date for the closure of the Defender line, apparently some of the larger organisations, mainly utility's put in Bulk orders(long story its all to do with set up on spares etc, quick switch not a simple fix) those orders coming to fulfilment has on occasion released a few quality used vehicles, or so I am reliably informed, I' myself have seen one or two but they get snapped up pretty quick, still maybe worth a look. Off topic, Can anyone offer a little advise how to load video up on here? I asked without response, I have a few videos of Wild boar from my trail cam from a recent visit to Poland, i'm not the best techy with a PC though. thanks in advance for any tips!

Last edited:
Off topic, Can anyone offer a little advise how to load video up on here? I asked without response, I have a few videos of Wild boar from my trail cam from a recent visit to Poland, i'm not the best techy with a PC though. thanks in advance for any tips!

You have to get your videos hosted on an external website first - YouTube, Vimeo, etc. allow you to do this once you've registered/created an account. Once they are uploaded you copy the URL of your video and paste it into the video link dialogue box that's opened by clicking the little film icon in the menu bar of your SD post/reply, and away you go.

You have to get your videos hosted on an external website first - YouTube, Vimeo, etc. allow you to do this once you've registered/created an account. Once they are uploaded you copy the URL of your video and paste it into the video link dialogue box that's opened by clicking the little film icon in the menu bar of your SD post/reply, and away you go.
Thanks very much Orion :tiphat:

Many thanks everyone for your advice, the Isuzu has won me over. Intend to order a Yukon in a month or so. The L200 that I bought in 2001 has done a good job but it needs to go to the scrap yard.

I run a 2011 3.0 hilux I'd quite happily buy another no problem

I've been in a 3.2 ranger and it's a nice motor but I don't no enough about how good they really are to say yes or no

isuzu d max again I've been in a couple and I know people who have give them some real stick and they can't fault them so I'd probably say I'd have one

I'd never buy another Land Rover defender no matter how new or cheap it was

I'd never buy a Mitsubishi L200 eigher no matter how new or cheap it was

regards fuel economy there all about the same give or take I've never bought one car over another just because it's 3 mpg better on fuel etc

My isuzu DMax has done over 150'000 miles and not missed a beat I think you have too go along way to beat them.If they kept the same engine in the new2017 model I would get another.Push the sales people for a deal as they have a new model coming soon.

Back