Which Wellies

Cony

Hi Folks

Lots of welly upsilons out there.......Hunter,Aigle, le chameux etc.

neoprene inside leather inside.

Too much choice. Any advice most welcome. :rolleyes:

Aigle get lots of votes, but I went for Toggi when my Le Chameaus finally gave up as my budget was low... They're good enough, but I will probably get Aigle as and when the coffers refill. I'd have another pair of Le Chameau, but the newer ones don't appear to be anywhere near as well made, and I'm not spending north of £200 to prove that point!

Aigle get lots of votes, but I went for Toggi when my Le Chameaus finally gave up as my budget was low... They're good enough, but I will probably get Aigle as and when the coffers refill. I'd have another pair of Le Chameau, but the newer ones don't appear to be anywhere near as well made, and I'm not spending north of £200 to prove that point!

I went for Toggi's regardless of budget - they are still the best-lasting wellies I've had in the last 20 years!

Aigle is very good and comfortable. I use both neoprene lined and unlined for the best part of 30 years.

I will probably have a go at the Decathlon wellies next time? Just to give them a try. About 1/2 price of the Aigles and also the nice tight riding boot design. They might be rubbish, but if you don't try them, .........
I also have muckboots, don't like them. lethal on wet hard surfaces and far to stiff. Tiring to walk in.

Just been into decathlon during a trip down Ayrshire way.... Well I would try the wellies ...had them along side the Aigles ( which were £119)
Look ok, worth a go ....., I. Really impressed with the Solognac's trousers tho for £34.99

Paul

Thirded the decathlon wellies. Got a pair in september and used them through the season on walk up days and doe culling. Plenty of use and they are warm and comfy, look pretty good and fairly tough. With a 2 year waranty on them also if you do get a split where there shouldnt be just send them back (unless it was barbed wire induced!).

Couldn't stand wellies, but eventually bought a pair of Grubs stalkers £80 -85 from memory as didn't wear for over year as I loved my Grubs Ptarmigans (hiker style boot) which I now haven't worn since I eventually put the stalkers on. Comfortable and warm. So Grubs Stalkers for winter/ real wet muddy weather, grubs Ptarmigans for all other times.

Toggie Neoprenes are good wellies, and I had a pair of kudus for 16 years before they started splitting. Togi, I believe took over production. I bout a pair of Togi's for myself and also for miss Heym. Mrs Heym took a shine to my Togi's so when I saw a pair of 2nd hand but unused Kudus I pounced on them fast.

Hoggs of Fife now do what looks a good pair of neoprene wellies with a good walking boot sole for c£75 - same price as Togi. Well worth a look.

Quite happily wear the Togi's for long walks. Only comment is the sole rubber is hard and on wet grass with greasy mud underneath they lack a bit of traction. But so will most other footwear this side of a pair of crampons.

...Hoggs of Fife now do what looks a good pair of neoprene wellies with a good walking boot sole for c£75 - same price as Togi. Well worth a look.

the Hoggs wellies look to be from exactly the same production mould as Cotswold Grange wellies, which in turn appear to be from exactly the same production mould as Tayberry Rook...

i've a pair of Rooks that have served me very well - 4 miles a day in winter, Autumn and early spring, though they've finally started to split where the ball of your foot flexes (repaired with Stormsure glue, but we'll see how that pans out...). 3 years for £65, not bad, and a great deal better than some reviews for £200 wellies i've seen.

personally i've gone over to leather walking boots, they aren't as convenient as wellies, and my trousers get dirtier, quicker, but with much better ankle support and far better durability. pays your money etc...

WOW. Thanks for that you lot. Lots of info there.

What at is interesting is I'm wearing Solognacs from Decathalon at the minute which have had good feedback in the thread. The padding on the sole is really comfy.

Hadnt heard of Toggis so will check them out too

cheers.

Just been into decathlon during a trip down Ayrshire way.... Well I would try the wellies ...had them along side the Aigles ( which were £119)
Look ok, worth a go ....., I. Really impressed with the Solognac's trousers tho for £34.99

Paul
I'm wearing the Solognac wellies now. Super comfy.

See they do a brown pair with full length zip etc too
Certainly worth a look ...
efc5f701f1e6e3e4c7812753bcaadede.jpg

Last edited:
Back