Lobby your PCC candidates

Apparently the Green candidate in my area is "supportive"...
Odd, considering the Greens' own website says they're fundamentally opposed to shooting. It's in their policy!

Sent. If I get a reply I'll post it here!
Not going to hold my breath given my variation / renewal debacle. I didn't get any response from GMP / MP, or commissioner over a 6 months period!!

Spaniel

Sent - there are particular problems in Lincolnshire since G4S has taken over firearms licensing. Will be interested in the how the candidates respond which I will post on here.

An immediate and positive response from our UKIP candidate within 5 minutes of hitting the send button!

[SIZE=-1]Dear Mr Orion,

As you may be aware I retired from Police Service last year. One of my first postings 30 years ago was as a Community Beat Officer who were, at that time, responsible for the licensing of weapons within their area of responsibility. It was a role the officers and Police took very seriously and as far as I am aware, although now carried out by Police Staff, still do. This is why we have the tightest and most effective firearms control in the world. I partake in Clay Pigeon Shooting and am satisfied with the checks made and requirements for the issue and retention of firearms.
An efficient licensing operation is vital for the safety of our communities and is an area I fully support and endorse.

Kind regards

Jonathan
[/SIZE] --
Jonathan Smith
The Peoples' Candidate for the Devon and Cornwall Police & Crime Commissioner
United Kingdom Independence Party
www.jonathansmith.org.uk

It is possible to add further remarks in the form before submission. Here are mine:

Did you know that one measure of efficiency is the number of Section 7 permits, which firearms departments have to issue if they do not process firearms certificate or shot gun certificate renewals before expiry of the current certificate. In 2010 Hampshire Police issued 79. In 2015 they issued 1205, an increase over the 319 in 2014. Grant and renewal fees were increased in 2015 and in return shooters were promised efficiencies in processing. The outgoing Hampshire Chief Constable Andy Marsh has presided over this scandalous state of affairs and will not be missed by shooters. He was NPCC lead on Firearms and while he seemed to relish the national profile this gave him, he presided over an ever increasing shambles in the Hampshire Firearms department.

I would appreciate an explanation as to how you, if elected, intend that Hampshire police firearms department are brought up to speed. They are the 5th worst force in England & Wales by the above measure. Will you task your new Chief Constable with getting control of the situation in the firearms department. If so, you will get my vote.

I had this response from Mike Baker, Independent candidate for South Wales Police:

Thank you for making contact, can I say firstly that my response is not in any way geared to pushing you or your members towards voting for me, though I would clearly like them to do so, but my reply will be based on my opinion and the law.
All that said, when I was an officer, I was at one time the leader of the firearms tactical unit and a force tactical adviser to the chief officer group. I regularly met with shooting groups throughout the force area. I fully support the lawful possession of firearms and shooting clubs. I am also fully aware that there are those that need to have firearms in their daily work life, I.e. farmers etc. I will continue to support this position and enable the police service to monitor the licensing of those involved. I would also say that I will be vigorous in my approach to illegal firearm possession.
Let me finish by saying that I am annoyed by 'Knee Jerk' responses to firearms law, because in the main they tend to focus on those who are legal and tend not to interrupt the illegal trade.

I hope this answers your question, if you have any more please let me know

Kindest Regards

Mike

My speedy reply -

Dear Mr Sanderson

Thank you for getting in touch with me on this very important issue.

As you may know there are some 40000 licenced firearms in Lincolnshire, the highest of any county area in England.

I
fully support the lawful use of firearms and I would urge you to read
this article on my website to see my pledge to take firearms licencing
back from G4S and under Lincolnshire Police's direct control.

http://www.marcjones.org.uk/news/gun-licence-“-house”-pledge-candidate-marc-jones

Kind regards

Marc Jones
Police and Crime Commissioner Candidate for Lincolnshire

Labour Tory and LibDem in this area. The Labour candidate is a lodge brother to the Local MP and the Chief Constable and was a Deputy Ch Constable in Cleveland and was under suspicion and enquiry for 2 years. Fine choice really - NOT!
Anyway, the postal vote went off yesterday. Anything but the Labour candidate, but he will get in by a country mile!

An immediate and positive response from our UKIP candidate within 5 minutes of hitting the send button!

[SIZE=-1]Dear Mr Orion,

As you may be aware I retired from Police Service last year. One of my first postings 30 years ago was as a Community Beat Officer who were, at that time, responsible for the licensing of weapons within their area of responsibility. It was a role the officers and Police took very seriously and as far as I am aware, although now carried out by Police Staff, still do. This is why we have the tightest and most effective firearms control in the world. I partake in Clay Pigeon Shooting and am satisfied with the checks made and requirements for the issue and retention of firearms.
An efficient licensing operation is vital for the safety of our communities and is an area I fully support and endorse.

Kind regards

Jonathan
[/SIZE] --
Jonathan Smith
The Peoples' Candidate for the Devon and Cornwall Police & Crime Commissioner
United Kingdom Independence Party
www.jonathansmith.org.uk

He's probably the strongest candidate for our constabulary, but, he isn't going to alter anything he sees nothing wrong with how it is managed at present and won't give any more staff to the department. At least he is being honest and not BS'ing the electorate.

The reality is he is focused on 'accuracy' and not 'efficiency'.

Here are the responses so far from quite a number of candidates in the Warwickshire area.
Dear Mr Brady,

Thanks for getting in touch about this important issue. I completely agree that a distinction must be made to account for lawful shooting and possession of firearms, particularly in the rural county of Warwickshire where firearms can be a crucial tool in certain professions. I can indeed confirm that I am committed to ensuring an efficient licensing operation in Warwickshire Police force area that complies with Home Office guidance.

All the best,

Ben

Ben Twomey

Independent PCC Candidate

Dear John

Thank you for your e.mail.

My background is that I have lived in Warwickshire all my life, have spent 35 years within the police, leaving 5 years ago. I live in a rural part of Warwickshire and have always supported field sports and, have many friend who do the same.

I do appreciate the value that shooting brings to the rural economy and also how it works hand in hand with conservation and land management.

With regard to the firearms licensing department [ which some years ago I did line manage within my department] I know there are issues of concern over delays, I recently saw a report that Warwickshire was reasonably high in the issue of temporary permits, which is not ideal.

I do support all legal field sports and believe that all people are entitled to participate in all activities, provided they comply with the law and guidelines.

I trust this informs you of my stance on the sport of shooting and licensing.

Yours sincerely,

David Whitehouse

This is my reply from the UKIP candidate

Dear Mr. Sanderson

Firearms licencing should be properly resourced. In Lincolnshire we have many involved in farming or rural businesses who need their guns as an integral part of managing their land. There are also many who enjoy shooting for sport. Currently the waiting time to renew or get new licences is unacceptable and this has caused huge inconvenience to many.

G4s I believe, lack the man power and resources to cope with this important job. It is essential that the correct checks are done to weed out potential threats and I would not want there to be any short cuts in this respect. I believe the best solution is to put the job back directly in the hands of the Police who used to do it quicker yet still took all necessary precautions.

There are proposed new E.U. gun law regulations to include stiffer medical checks in response to recent terrorist attacks. This seems pointless as we already have strict rules in place and it is not going to make any difference to terrorists obtaining illegal weapons anyway.

I hope this answers your concerns, but please let me know if you want more information. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss further, my mobile number is 07764536867.

yours sincerely

Victoria Ayling

I have only had a reply from the Conservative candidate.

Subject: RE: Your views on shooting?

Thank you.

Since my election address has been sent out, I have received hundreds of emails from people across Northamptonshire wanting to know a little more about me. I am trying to respond back as quickly as possible and individually to everybody who has contacted me, but as I am sure you can appreciate, my inbox is overflowing, so apologies for the delay in replying.

I live in the rural village and whilst not a good shot myself (Scarily my wife is much better) I have enjoyed shooting.

I am more than happy to support shooting conducted according to the law and the current codes of practice.

On the subject of efficient licensing operation I would like to see a national system.

In Northamptonshire we have a partnership across the East Midlands with the five forces, I believe the New Northamptonshire PCC takes over the Chair this year and this might be something we could at least try bring together in the East Midlands so we can create both an efficient and cost effective system.

Best Regards
Stephen Mold
Police & Crime Commissioner Candidate Northamptonshire

It would be good to see Northants get their system in order. Not only do they take an age to issue or renew but seem to put many hurdles in the way of perfectly legitimate variations from the experience of friends of mine.
I think some in the office like to flex their power where ever they can!

From Eluned Parrott, Welsh Liberal candidate for the Welsh Assembly elections.

Thank you for your e-mail correspondence. I am grateful that you have taken the time to raise this important issue with me.

Firstly let me say that I do not believe that publicly owned land should be used for sport shooting. I do not believe that this is a responsible way to safeguard the natural environment which has been entrusted in Natural Resources Wales (NRW).

I further note that NRW only receive payments of £6,000 annually. I understand that the value of these shoots on public land is vastly greater than this, meaning that even if I believed shooting was an appropriate thing to happen on public land, it is not been done in a way which provides value for money for taxpayers.

Kind regards,

Eluned

Back