Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Import from Germany

Import from Germany

I am the latest to join the hopeless merry-go-round that seems to typify trying to buy a rifle direct from a German dealer

Said German dealer indicates he needs to raise an export permit from German officials - price 90 Euros - fine

From me he wants an 'import license' - what is this import license I ask - Germanic shrug

Talk to D & C firearms dept an they send me a link to Import Licensing Branch - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ition-2015.pdf

Reading through that finally get me to emailing Import Licensing Branch direct - enquiries.ilb@bis.gsi.gov.uk

They respond with.....

You will need, in addition to your suitably conditioned Firearms Certificate, a transfer licence issued by the German Authorities in line with Directive 91/477/EEC. The exporter must obtain the transfer licence from their issuing authority and once issued the transfer licence must accompany the firearm to the UK.

I have attached Notice to Importers 2871 which references this on .22 on page 3.

Please note that Notice 2875 references a change to import controls for deactivated firearms. A new main Notice referencing the changes detailed in 2875 will be issued shortly to replace 2871.

Regards

I now think I'm doing well - no mention of a UK import license - doesn't exist - all that's needed is relevant slot on FAC

Worried though about the term ''Transfer licence'' - German dealer talks about ''Export License''

Back to inquiries at the Import Licensing Branch - they respond quickly but with the unclear response......

It isn’t that an import licence doesn’t exist. There are differing requirements depending upon the type of firearm and whether they are being imported from a non-EU country or being transferred from another EU Member State. We must be contacted prior to attempting to transfer if the German authorities are not issuing a transfer licence in line with Directive 91/477/EEC.

Please note that a transfer lice
    nce and export licence are not necessarily the same thing. I cannot advise on whether there is an export licensing requirement in Germany in addition to the transfer licence requirement.

Regards

Hmmm - not quite what I hoped for in terms of clarity - still, from my end all I need in FAC (right?)

Send entire transcript to Dealer in Germany with offer to send scanned copy of FAC

Germanic shrug

Quote Originally Posted by bowji john View Post
    Hmmm - not quite what I hoped for in terms of clarity - still, from my end all I need in FAC (right?)

Send entire transcript to Dealer in Germany with offer to send scanned copy of FAC
    Yes, you're doing it right. You must send a copy/scan of your FAC with the vacant slot on it, otherwise they may keep badgering you for the mythical UK 'import licence'! A copy of your passport won't go amiss either. Sling as many copies of our requirements and letters from the Dept BIS at them as you can. What your seller is referring to as an 'export licence' will be the 'transfer licence', although 90 euros seems a bit steep (I was quoted less than half that, although they were a big outfit).

Good luck with it and what goodie is coming your way?
    Last edited by Orion; 27-04-2016 at 14:33.

Thanks Orion

Tis a lonely process so a 'pat on the back' from you helps loads

Blaser R8 Prof Success 6.5 x 55

With a fair wind and a bit of luck

j

Orion

What outfit did you use? - might have more luck with them

Quote Originally Posted by bowji john View Post
    Thanks Orion Tis a lonely process so a 'pat on the back' from you helps loads Blaser R8 Prof Success 6.5 x 55 With a fair wind and a bit of luck j
    The next difficulty is getting a carrier to shift it. Firearms are on their tabboo 'must not carry' list...still, as German/Austrian firearms come to UK all the time, you'd expect there must be a carrier will do this....errrr not easily found!
    Good luck.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

When I was looking into this Pinemarten was very helpful. He had used William Evans and they had done all the work for what I thought was a very reasonable price. Certainly worth the peace of mind. Unfortunately following my catastropic computer belly up I no longer have the email. Might be worth sending him a PM.

David.

He did, and I think I may have managed to drag him this far into the mess, if not out the other end!

However as Orion says, he's actually doing it right. Now it's down to persuasion...

Thanks Guys - and thanks again Pinemartin

Pity there is no magic pill with this one

I'll keep on pluggin away

J

your on the right track,, just remember to have it sent to a friendly RFD to put it on ticket, recently went through this to import from Denmark!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bell308 View Post
    your on the right track,, just remember to have it sent to a friendly RFD to put it on ticket, recently went through this to import from Denmark!!

No requirement to have a UK RFD involved. The firearm can be sent direct from the EU seller to your door.