Buck hanging in garage - how long have I got?

I can remember a guy buying a sika through me(all perfectly legit). This was in July during quite hot weather. The guy who was a scientist took the deer home and hung it in his garage for 10 days whilst he went on holiday and then wondered why there was a dreadful smell and a mess of maggots. Just proves that you can be intelligent but have no sense

Meat will tenderise/mature/improve if kept at fridge temperatures for a time, but this can be before of after it is frozen, so getting it frozen quickly in mild weather is no problem.

Meat will tenderise/mature/improve if kept at fridge temperatures for a time, but this can be before of after it is frozen, so getting it frozen quickly in mild weather is no problem.

I am glad you confirmed that.

I have recently acquired an old drinks chiller to mature the carcass. The first time I used it a few weeks ago, the thermostat was awry and it froze the carcass. We are having to defrost and store the joints for a week in the fridge in order to do the “hanging” at the other end of the storage with that animal…duh.

Alan

Back