Ruger - Custom Project?

novice

Anyone have any idea how Ruger M77 MkIIs compare to Remmy 700s in terms of a base for making a semi-custom outfit?

I've a chance of a nice left hand .270 and having a mooch around the net it seems that the standard trigger is a bit agricultural, but they can be glammed up for a reasonable price with a Timney/Rifle Basix trigger and a Boyd stock.

What do folk reckon, worth a punt?

Novice

they are not as popular as the remmy and the action maynot be quite as strong... but the action is basically a modified mauser action and so is intrinsically strong. i hada ruger m77 mk 2 with a timney trigger and a krieger .243 AI barrel in stainless. it also had a heavy laminate target stock by ruger which allowed the barrel to float. unfortunately the barrel had a 1 in 14 twist so only really liked berger 62 gr bullets.... good for foxing... no good for deer. SO PHENOMINALLY ACCURATE.

there is not quite so much aftermarket stuff for them though

There are those who would build a custom on the Ruger over the Rem 700 any day of the week. OK there is not the choice of bolt on goodies for a Rigger 77 unlike the piles available for the rem 700. Of course the 700 being a bit of pipe need all the help it can get :stir:.

Go for it it a far .............................. far better action than the Rem 700 :old:.

Novice. I have owned Rugers in 223, 22-250, 243, 25-06 and 260 Rem. I own none of them now as there were no accessories available for them. I looked at getting a Remington or a Ruger 260 Rem in 1999, if I had bought a Remington, I would at least still have the action. As per my gallery, I now own a Remington 260 by Russell Gall and a Sako 75 with a Border Barrel. Both actions will see me and my tinkering out. Regards JCS

they are not as popular as the remmy and the action maynot be quite as strong... but the action is basically a modified mauser action and so is intrinsically strong. i hada ruger m77 mk 2 with a timney trigger and a krieger .243 AI barrel in stainless. it also had a heavy laminate target stock by ruger which allowed the barrel to float. unfortunately the barrel had a 1 in 14 twist so only really liked berger 62 gr bullets.... good for foxing... no good for deer. SO PHENOMINALLY ACCURATE.

there is not quite so much aftermarket stuff for them though

Why would you possibly think such a thing? No idea how you could come up with that....

Back to the question: I have rebarreled many Ruger 77's in my day. They are harder to accurately bed than a Remmy (Which is basically a bit of steel tubing) but they are, in my opinion, a better action then the Remington. Go for it if you have the mind.~Muir

Anyone have any idea how Ruger M77 MkIIs compare to Remmy 700s in terms of a base for making a semi-custom outfit?

I've a chance of a nice left hand .270 and having a mooch around the net it seems that the standard trigger is a bit agricultural, but they can be glammed up for a reasonable price with a Timney/Rifle Basix trigger and a Boyd stock.

What do folk reckon, worth a punt?

Novice
left handed .270,seems to me your of to a flying start,i take it your left handed!! not many true left handed rifles about. now then..semi customize,why? is it just for looks or to accurize,or a bit of both!! is it something you want to do,or hand it over to a rifle smith to have the work done? there are so many parts for the rem 700 out there!! and allot to make it have the same quality of another rifle just like.."have a sako extractor fitted" why not just buy a sako!!!! i was after a new rifle a few months ago with your very thoughts.so the time came the other week to have a look, in my mind i could not decide on any make!! in the gun shop i went through all the new rifles,shouldering them like i would a shot gun,rem..tikka..sako..ect i asked 700 sps whats the sps stand for he said "**** Plastic Stock!" he was not wrong!! he then made a remark that i was worse than his wife when shopping!! i replied ile take my time thanks!! i have to live with my choice!! just like your living and obviously shopping!!! with yours!! any way on to second hand i shouldered one and thought this is it! i looked at it and saw it was a ruger m77 mk2!! it looked like new,good wood and the blueing was deep like glass,it looked and felt a quality rifle! i asked whats the deal with this? he said a lad had bought it new put a s+b scope on it and was then laughed at by his pals so PX it on a new t3 with us!! rifle,tasco 4x40,sling £400. i snaped his hand off. 5 shots with this rifle to date 3 sight in and 2 with 2 roe bucks!!!! so now my once long list of customizing jobs has reduced!! fitting a Tupperware stock will alter its feel and fit (the very reason i bought it!!) no need to free float and bed!!(it shoots great thanks!!) so onto the trigger nice stainless steel!! i may tweak myself file,hone,polish!! have the nice stainless bolt Jewelled!! have some stainless rings fitted,and may be engraved of some sort to match the bolt and even maybe the trigger as well!! i think this would look good against the rich deep bluing.as for parts midway UK has plenty for the ruger m77!! so if the ruger fits YOU!!! and feels good too YOU!!! buy it!! YOU cant go wrong!! ps... the lad that bought the t3 (to be in "the tikka t3 brigade" like his Friends!!) has still to shoot any deer!!

Oh I like that one :lol: just shows how gullible some are :rolleyes:. Can't say much for his friends can it?

I have shot a friends T3 Tactical and it's accurate but does not feel right to me.

left handed .270,seems to me your of to a flying start,i take it your left handed!! not many true left handed rifles about. now then..semi customize,why? is it just for looks or to accurize,or a bit of both!! is it something you want to do,or hand it over to a rifle smith to have the work done? there are so many parts for the rem 700 out there!! and allot to make it have the same quality of another rifle just like.."have a sako extractor fitted" why not just buy a sako!!!! i was after a new rifle a few months ago with your very thoughts.so the time came the other week to have a look, in my mind i could not decide on any make!! in the gun shop i went through all the new rifles,shouldering them like i would a shot gun,rem..tikka..sako..ect i asked 700 sps whats the sps stand for he said "**** Plastic Stock!" he was not wrong!! he then made a remark that i was worse than his wife when shopping!! i replied ile take my time thanks!! i have to live with my choice!! just like your living and obviously shopping!!! with yours!! any way on to second hand i shouldered one and thought this is it! i looked at it and saw it was a ruger m77 mk2!! it looked like new,good wood and the blueing was deep like glass,it looked and felt a quality rifle! i asked whats the deal with this? he said a lad had bought it new put a s+b scope on it and was then laughed at by his pals so PX it on a new t3 with us!! rifle,tasco 4x40,sling £400. i snaped his hand off. 5 shots with this rifle to date 3 sight in and 2 with 2 roe bucks!!!! so now my once long list of customizing jobs has reduced!! fitting a Tupperware stock will alter its feel and fit (the very reason i bought it!!) no need to free float and bed!!(it shoots great thanks!!) so onto the trigger nice stainless steel!! i may tweak myself file,hone,polish!! have the nice stainless bolt Jewelled!! have some stainless rings fitted,and may be engraved of some sort to match the bolt and even maybe the trigger as well!! i think this would look good against the rich deep bluing.as for parts midway UK has plenty for the ruger m77!! so if the ruger fits YOU!!! and feels good too YOU!!! buy it!! YOU cant go wrong!! ps... the lad that bought the t3 (to be in "the tikka t3 brigade" like his Friends!!) has still to shoot any deer!!

I found out when looking for my .243 how rare decent left hookers are 2nd hand, so a big part of me is thinking buy it when it's available. There is no real reason for me to start tricking it out, other than the information I have gleaned from t'net seems to suggest that the standard trigger isn't brilliant, and my experience has always been that a good trigger forms the basis of getting results. As the owner of a standard Tikka 595 (shoots better than me, without any adjustment from the day I bought it), the thought of having a rifle for which you can buy a smart looking Boyd stock for not a lot of money is appealing, but only because I'm as big a 'tackle tart' as the next man!

Brass is a bit tight at the minute as well, so the prospect of buying a rifle, then having fun adding to it to make a complete package, works out better financially than lashing out on something that costs more up front.

Just need to convince 'The Boss', but I'm working on that!

Novice

novice, seems like you've got it sorted.you cant go wrong! the ruger trigger can be sorted no problem! your boss on the other hand may take a lot more working on!!!:lol:

Back