Reloading press setup inspiration re'qd

sauer

Hi folks

Looking for inspiration from handy clever headed individuals on here for setting up a reloading press quickly , temporarily but steady n secure

My area I used wasn't perfect but change of use of that area and I'm thinking more comfort in the dining room .... Big solid oak ding table for 8 folks but obviously if I bore holes in that wife will have my testicles for ear rings soooo
I remember vaguely pics someone posted of a press set up on a wooden box of some kind that then sets on the table ...no damage etc

Cheers
Paul

Off the shelf

I was working from a portable workbench, but found it a little flimsy when making cases for my 17FB from 223, more pressure needed than just a normal FL resize.

I looked at the DIY option, but am no handyman so purchased a Lee reloading stand and think it is great. Now I can reload wherever I need to. It takes up a little more room than the workbench as it doesn't fold down, but in operation it has a smaller footprint and is much sturdier.

It also lets me store 2 presses attached to the stand and can be adapted to take any make of press.

Regards

Mark

Sauer
Another type is a strong plank with the press bolted onto one end. Length of plank equal to the width of the table. Then fit a hook to the end that slots over the back edge of the table. Felt pads can be used to avoid marking the table.

Ian

Hi,
another quick way I do it is two small 12" square bits of wood one on top of table one underneath then just two f clamps on the press secured to the underside wood, no scratches or marks and nice and secure!!
Stu

Get a piece of kitchen work top and mount the press to that. You can then clamp the worktop bit to the dining table using suitable protection for the table or clamp the work top bit to a work mate. When I lived in a bed-sit this is how I reloaded. When in a proper flat I set up a work bench so press was mounted to that.

There is an off the shelf product, the Sinclair wooden stand available through Brownells UK ........

http://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/U...Products/37267749006972/SubProducts/749006972

............ but price !!

Depending on exactly what you're loading and whether it involves any heavy duty full length resizing of larger cases, the Lee Hand Press often suffices and you do most of your handloading sitting comfortably in an armchair. Pack all the gear away into a box after a session. I did this for many years before getting a proper bench.

Then there is the Black & Decker Workmate as a bench kept folded up in the garage or wherever when not in use.

I use a fold up set of small steps, and g clamps. The wooden base that's fitted to the press gets clamped to the top step and parts are kept in a plastic box

Then there is the Black & Decker Workmate as a bench kept folded up in the garage or wherever when not in use.
Lidl have something similar in from time to time, for not a lot of money(<£14).
2 of them to hold a piece of stout timber carrying the press(or one at each end), with piece of 50x50mm fixed permanently underneath for the benches to grip, would be stable enough. Sit on a chair to avoid backache due to height.
Alternatively : https://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf

Have a look at spud1967 website under presses.

You can see a wood cradle that if you don't want to spend £80 on any decent joinery shop will make you for about £25 plus materiels.

Or make it yourself from 1" plywood, pegged and glued. Tak
e about hour and a half...if that.

I've not tried the new RCBS that needs no overhang but that, easily, should fit a flat board. There's one on classifieds I think presently.

Last edited:
That's mine, still going strong
some scrap 1" or so MDF and a shedload of 3" wood screws

since had some nice felt feet put on the bottom to stop it marking the kitchen table!

I have a nice white pool ball now too (some spare ones knocking around if anyone wants one!)

IMG_0348_zps42f62e65.jpg

My press is a
Lyman T mag ll turret press

I loaded thousands of pistol rounds on one of these for many years and noticed that the turret would rock very slightly when F/L sizing even when the turret was fully tightened up.
To remedy this i slid feeler gauges between the the turret and the support at the rear of the column.

Ian.

I use this. Made for me by a mate many years ago. Folds up if needed with press in place.

Back