Raven Cull Petition

I signed willingly, actions on matters like these are always left till it's too late, look how many maggies we have now, plus those black bu**ers always give you away when you are up a narrow ride!

+1. The inclusion of a species on the GL doesn't lead to its eradication: it merely provides for effective and timely control when and where a problem arises. The threat posed by ravens is growing, and not just in Scotland. It's not just about numbers either, since successful strategies acquired by one generation of corvids are quickly passed on to successive generations and soon ingrained in the behaviour of a population.

Nevertheless, I have no time for the way the Telegraph article's rhetoric seeks to demonise these birds. They are not evil. Nature has no morality, and to project human values onto anything in nature, whether you're in favour or against a cull, is to miss this crucial point.

I agree with what you say, however: the do gooders "project human values" on animals all the time and they "demonise" those of us that try to live and work in the countryside.
I don't really care how the authors of these articles say it, I just want them to shout out loud that the countryside is being overrun with predators and its time something was don about it.
I have to deal with the actions of predation nearly every day!

Signed:eek:ver protection of predators has serious impact on other species/livestock.I agree totally with the previous post:

"I agree with what you say, however: the do gooders "project human values" on animals all the time and they "demonise" those of us that try to live and work in the countryside.
I don't really care how the authors of these articles say it, I just want them to shout out loud that the countryside is being overrun with predators and its time something was don about it.
I have to deal with the actions of predation nearly every day!"

We have a real problem with ravens down here - they kill or maul untold numbers of lambs and often peck the eyes, ears or tongues away from ewes, especially while they're giving birth.

I agree with what you say, however: the do gooders "project human values" on animals all the time and they "demonise" those of us that try to live and work in the countryside.
I have to deal with the actions of predation nearly every day!

:-| Why does the fact that antis unjustly demonise shooters make it reasonable for shooters to demonise anything?
:-| Can the point about the real damage ravens do really not be made without ladling on the anthropomorphic histrionics?

Why do I think this matters? Probably because I see it like this. The demonising of species in previous centuries led to largely successful attempts to eradicate them... which led to a conservationist panic in which species were entirely protected... which landed us in the absurd state we find ourselves in today.
Thank heavens for the general licence, but it remains a crying shame, and a scandal, that specific licences to cull protected species are not much easier to obtain when needed.

Twenty years ago it was a rare event to see a raven round here, not any more, I see them on a daily basis and they are becoming a real nuisance. They are attacking poultry and pretty well anything else that can't defend itself. As has already been said they are only doing what ravens do but their numbers are becoming a worry.

Twenty years ago it was a rare event to see a raven round here, not any more, I see them on a daily basis and they are becoming a real nuisance. They are attacking poultry and pretty well anything else that can't defend itself. As has already been said they are only doing what ravens do but their numbers are becoming a worry.

Likewise. I saw my first one in this neck of the woods 6 years ago, and now I see them every time I go out decoying corvids. I've lost count of the times I've had to hold my fire at the last minute when one has flown over to check out the decoys.

Ravens are easy enough to identify when they make a high pass, but when they come over the hide from behind, or cruise in close to the ground where they're screened by the hide net, it's another matter. Add to this the the fact that juvenile ravens are a similar size to a large carrion crow and the burgeoning population means there are altogether too many jokers in the pack for comfort.

20 years ago it was a rare sight to see a buzzard
now in some areas there is one on every telegraph pole!

populations change

Agree with Paddy now v common in Devon, also regularly seen in South Glos, they locate dead/injured animals v quickly including shot deer.

D

I think we need some video evidence of ravens pecking
eyes out of live lambs. then we might get a better response
from the public the press and legislators.

Agree with Paddy now v common in Devon, also regularly seen in South Glos, they locate dead/injured animals v quickly including shot deer.

D

The Arran scheme was an illustration of this, A good heavy covering of branches needed if leaving beasts out overnight.

Signed up when the petition started.
I used to only see juvenile ravens here in August when they were passing through but now they're nesting here they're a real pain in the arse come lambing time. Destructive killers.
DL

Back