.243 70gn ballistic tip - H4895 max load ???

i reload 39gr slight pressure signs but aftab said looked ok. this is seriously accurate and i use it on deer and fox.

Nosler manual doesn't quote for H4895 only IMR4895 - 36g to 40g max
Only Hodgden powder it quotes for the 70g are H380 - 40g to 44g max
H414 - 43.5 to 47.5g max

Have a look at stevespages.com which quotes a load range of 31.9 to 40g using H4895 with a 70g bullet

Hodgdon's -the guys who make the powder and actually use a pressure gun to determine pressures, not a computer module- lists max at 39.5 grains and you'll start at 39?? Ever see a reloading manual say "Start at half grain under Maximum and work up?" No. They usually say to start 5% under minimum and work up from there. Sorry Amigo, Bad move.~Muir

Last edited:
totally understand what your saying Muir but i've already used the same gun/bullet with other powders and they all work best at max. i use the h4895 with other bullets in the same rifle and theyre all at max or +. the man in the bullet shop says ignore the reccomendation to start low, you dont want to be down there!! (and he is a real person, not just some hick from the hills with too many guns and a broadband connection :thumb:)

with a new gun/powder/bullet i would always start low (ish)!!

anyway, the guns a R93 - theres a little spring piece of metal that stops the bolt from flying backwards so i'm sure it will be ok :cuckoo:

totally understand what your saying Muir but i've already used the same gun/bullet with other powders and they all work best at max. i use the h4895 with other bullets in the same rifle and theyre all at max or +. the man in the bullet shop says ignore the reccomendation to start low, you dont want to be down there!! (and he is a real person, not just some hick from the hills with too many guns and a broadband connection :thumb:)

with a new gun/powder/bullet i would always start low (ish)!!

anyway, the guns a R93 - theres a little spring piece of metal that stops the bolt from flying backwards so i'm sure it will be ok :cuckoo:

I suspect this is said a little tongue in cheek but it does come across a little harsh

pete

taken from urban dictionary

Some call "hick" derogatory, but if you watch closely you will see:

1) A person can say hick if they are one.
2) A person who has gotten away with saying hick, should think long and hard before typing it (OMG, what have I done?)
3) A person can say hick and mean it in the most loving way.
4) A person can have hick said about them and feel proud and loved!...

So "hick" is a bipolar term - it can be swung either way. Which leads me to the last and most important observation:
5) The number of empty beer cans strewn around where hick is said is directly proportional to the reaction provoked, either negative or positive, either a punch in the nose or a smothering, slobbering hug!

...and he is a real person, not just some hick from the hills with too many guns and a broadband connection :thumb:)

Ouch, that hurt.

Muir, ignore him. He knows no better.

He's from West Berkshire where we are strong in the arm and thick in the 'ead.

I suspect this is said a little tongue in cheek but it does come across a little harsh

pete

Don't stress. Americans do actually get affectionate irony.

Thank God we are friends with at least one nation in this awful world.

Where I come from, "hick" is almost always derogatory but really, get it right! I'm a hick from the prairies with too many guns and a broad band connection. As was pointed out, I am also an American hick (the worst kind!) which means that I believe a person is free to do whatever their real man at the bullet shop advises them to do. I'm sure he is 100% correct. Go for it, Gary! Really. ~Muir

Back