e-mail your MP

David63

The BASC election site has been updated - The new site should go live sometime between now and tomorrow morning. It will be in the same place on the home page.

The site will work in exactly the same way as the election site except that it only covers elected MPs and for the duration of the fall out from the Cumbrian murders the suggested email will reflect these special circumstances.

The email expresses the shooting community's concern, explains shooting's importance and offers briefing to the MP. If any of you require any guidance on what to say to your MP let us know.

You can of course amend the email and send any message you wish - but please keep it polite. You can also find out whether or not your MP is listed by us as supportive of shooting. If not you can still email them and ask them their view.

Please use it to make contact with your MP - and please copy any response you get to the email given on the site.

If MPs are plugged into their local shooting community they are likely to be far better informed when they come to make decisions in the wake of Cumbria.

http://politics.basc.org.uk/

Many thanks for your support.

David

hi david thanks for your help i have just filled in the form and sent it off all the best and keep up the good work,wayne

I am delighted that my subscription is being put to good use - for once!

PA

And I've now done it, interesting to see that there is no information as to what my MP's views are, am I now going to regret voting for him??

Last edited:
I mailed Richard Benyon in West Berks the day after it happened. His English sidelocks are undoubtedly worth more than my house.

...but I agree with Patrick. All power to the BASC.

Will do David. I have already exchanged emails with Swifty last week, regarding the excellent interview that Phil Pugh did on radio Merseyside. What a great job he did.

Delighted to see you and everyone else at BASC fighting for our future. Wonder what the "BASC do f**k all for us" crowd will be getting from their chosen organisations? :rolleyes:

I amended it slightly, just to remind my MP who pays for her generous expenses:

I am a Halewood constituent and participate in shooting sports.
The murders in Cumbria have shocked and saddened the whole shooting community.
I am concerned that this may result in legislative damage to safe and legal shooting. I am also aware that you will have the opportunity to contribute to the debate promised in parliament.
Shooting is a major contributor to the economy and the environment. The independent PACEC report found that live quarry shooting alone contributed £1.6 billion to the economy, was responsible for the full time equivalent of 70,000 jobs and provided 2.7 million work days on conservation.
I have been pleased by the good sense displayed by both government and opposition in warning against knee-jerk legislation. As the Prime Minister has said you cannot legislate for a lunatic.
I currently own a North West based gun shop which gives five people full time employment and contributes approximately £100,000 every year in VAT, Tax and N.I. Contributions.
I would be very happy to brief you on shooting sports and their role in your constituency. Please let me know if you would like to take up my offer.

;)

Some years ago Sefton council, led by Pugh, ran a 'consultancy' on the wildfowl shooting licenses issued by the council on the foreshore. The meeting was well attended by shooting circle advocates, especially existing wildfowlers and other interested parties.
After discussions with Pugh his answer to the question about what local concerns wanted for the land was
'We (the liberals) are not interested in what the locals want, we want shooting stopped so thats it'

Some consultancy eh

Limulus,

Just in case there is any confusion, I was referring to the excellent efforts of Phil Pugh, the BASC Northern Director and NOT the bigoted opinion of the slippery wan*er, Pugh the MP for Southport. :tiphat:

Dear David BASC, I can think of a better way for this to happen, as you, and your colleagues are paid to campaign, why don't you and your workmates email MP's and report to us the findings, so that we can make better use of our efforts to target the unsympathetic ones?

Dear David BASC, I can think of a better way for this to happen, as you, and your colleagues are paid to campaign, why don't you and your workmates email MP's and report to us the findings, so that we can make better use of our efforts to target the unsympathetic ones?

It makes you want to weep sometimes! MPs are elected by their constituents. A letter from a constituent has to be replied to and a least some token reply made suggesting that the MP has noted and understood the concerns of that constituent.

Letters from outside of the MP's constituency are, by and large, filed directly into the rubbish bin. It is therefore effectively no use at all anyone from outside the constituency writing to that MP.

Letters from a hundred people living in constituencies A, B, C, D and E are useless if sent to the MP for constituency F. These letter writers have no relevance to him or her. They don't directly elect him or her and can't demand "audience" with him or her at local surgery.

The only letters that are useful to target unsympathetic MPs are those from within that MPs constituency. And that is why it is important that all write to their MP, in their constituency, as because they have to reply BASC can then find out who is and is not sympathetic.

Once that is done BASC can then ask its members in that constituency to then write to that individual.

You have to least at know where your target is before you start to muster your letter writers! And only correspondence to an MP from within their own constituency can discover that. That's politics.

Last edited:
David, thanks for making us aware of this. It was a terrible event, and I cannot see how any legislation could have prevented it from happening. It is good to see BASC asking it's members to add their support to its case; strength in numbers may not have saved hunting, but it might protect lawful gun ownship. I think we all now need to stand together if we are to avoid further restrictions being introduced.

DL,

'enfieldspares' reply is bang on the money. Sending that email via the BASC link takes less than two minutes.

Or sit on your arse writing smart posts on forums, which will take you longer and do not do a jot to protect your shooting.

Well I've written to my MP a couple of times, and neither time, did I get a personal response,nothing to do with the nature of the points raised, I presume the person is just too busy.
Now BASC receives rather a lot of money from the membership, and I think it's fair that they at least attempt to reduce the leg work, by telling the members where their efforts are best placed.

Again more scare mongering ,It would be really nice to see exactly what, if any legislation will actually take place, before badgering MPs/MSPs" about what" because we don't know WHAT as YET.

So David BASC if you know something, we don't kindly let us all in on it collectively as we the members, pay your wages .

As the PM David Cameron did say how do you legislate for a nuttier, those word can be interpreted however you like .

Back