gillie suits

tikk308

I now this mite sound a little over the top but I've been thinkng off getting a Gilie suit for both foxsing & a little deer stalking & I was wondering if anyone has on & there thoughts on them

Kevin

I wouldn't use one for either task, it will catch on everything you touch, your kit will get caught up in it, a nightmare. If you're looking at laying up somewhere, get a hide or a highseat in place, will serve you better and will not constantly Pi** you off.

TJ

I saw them being used in a fox and also a roe calling dvd and thought they looked pretty good and was considering the same myself.

There is a jack pyke one that is about £95 rrp however you can get it on ebay for £70 (best offer results from previous sales) and there is also one that looks good from bushwear I think swed team but it is more like £150

If you move things will see you, if you don't they won't. I would forget the ghillie suit if I were you if for no other reason than the way you will look if you are seen by members of the public. It always makes me laugh when you see photos in the magazines of airgunners all realtreed up but with no gloves on. I hardly ever wear any camo these days, if I do its just an old DPM smock or CS95 shirt if its hot. JC

I have used one like the Jack pyke kind I'm not a lover off that kind. this is the kind I was thinking off

I nomly were a camo pance & a jacket. just the other day when I was out my mate said you will be able to see us from the tree line

Kevin

I wouldn't use one for either task, it will catch on everything you touch, your kit will get caught up in it, a nightmare. If you're looking at laying up somewhere, get a hide or a highseat in place, will serve you better and will not constantly Pi** you off.

TJ

+1. Until deer evolve opposable thumbs and start shooting back there really isn't any need - more trouble than benefit IMHO.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by tartinjock

TJ
+1. Until deer evolve opposable thumbs and start shooting back there really isn't any need - more trouble than benefit
IMHO. I'm in full agreement with the above too.

I have one of the jack pyke type and have to agree with those that say its a pain. I bought it for summer use as its very light but I cant carry a rifle without the bolt or the bipod getting stuck in it at some point. I guess for use in a stationary position it would be fine though.

As an afterthought, you could probably attract the odd clockwork budgie wearing one of those, haven't seen any in the B.A.S.C. guide to police on shooters & how they may appear.

They would be a pain! Most snipers now use a shroud which fits over the shoulders and back only. You add whatever cam you want dependent on terrain. I don't do DPM but I am considering trying the new cryo cam, its supposed to be suitable for all environments?

Thanks for the replys I was manly thinking for foxs but it sounds like to much hard work :)

Kevin

cant see the point, its hard enough already carrying equipment needed wile out stalking imagine trying to find your lighter and smokes wearing gillie suit!! great for a game of hide & seek or paintball, only good if your names tom berenger,

You don't need a Ghillie for Fox or Deer, Charlie never sees us, or the trucks, If you are waiting for one just use whatever is around you, back up against a tree or hedge, movement, or the lack of it is the key.

cant see the point, its hard enough already carrying equipment needed wile out stalking imagine trying to find your lighter and smokes wearing gillie suit!! great for a game of hide & seek or paintball, only good if your names tom berenger,

Imagine actually having a fag in a ghillie suit!

It would be a bit like those American hunters dressed head to toe in realtree, with a face veil, gloves, cammo contact lenses, hydro-dipped shotgun and the regulation 50 square inches of fluorescent orange. :D

Tried one once, felt like an enormous ragged ****, trying to stalk to the high seat......

(For the avoidance of doubt "****" is used as adjective rather than noun:thumb:)

I brought one for my son as an Xmas present. It is v effective but totally impractical for stalking as picks up bits.

Him and his friend use them when they are out with the air rifles and for close range stuff on magpies and crows with a bait they are excellent. They love them and look the bit with cammoed up air rifles and I can assure you that on the correct background they just disappear.

I could see a use in foxing if you have to lie out in the abscence of cover, but would be rare event.

Stick with your DPM and wear gloves and a veil.

D

I'm pleased I ask about a gillie suit. I've never need one I nomly sit in landy or back to a headge then start lamping If I have to move I do it very slowly
this mite be a no no on the best idea front :)

Kevin

Not a fan of ghillie suits in the real world. If you wear drab colours, wear a face veil, gloves and limit your movement you will be nearly as hard to see in cover as a deer.

ft

Never used a Ghillie Suit, never saw the need. Don't even use DPM or camo, just plain old tweed or dark green Harkila/Deerhunter type clothes and a stetson hat.

Like the SAS recommends - the 5 S's.
S- Shadow
S- Sillhouette
S- Size
S- Shine
S- Shape
if you want to add a 6th, then perhaps Speed?

avoid those and you'll not be seen by many living animals, even if just wearing drap clothes.

instead of a face veil or mosquito net (I find the netting impede my vision and really *****s me off), I use ex-MOD scrim scarf. This is a great face wrap-around (over nose) if needed, and when in waiting position with the rifle in place, I just pull it over my head and over the rifle scope. This will hang down nicely on either side of the gun and completely cover you and most of the rifle + scope. I have cut a small 3" hole in the middle and 2" up from the bottom of it, which allows the front of the scope to slip through and keep it in place. Really simple, effective, quick, cheap, and keeps your eyes clear of annoying mosquito netting!!!!!

Back